University Senate

Chancellor Kent Syverud raises concerns about Russian-Ukrainian conflict’s impact on the university

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Syverud also said the economic sanctions and measures contemplated between nations could have a significant effect on the university in an environment where supply chains and international travel are already strained.

UPDATED: Feb. 25, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said the recent Russian-Ukrainian conflict may be a potential challenge for the university community during the University Senate meeting Wednesday.

“Some of you will remember back in January and early February 2020, I urged that we needed to plan and prepare for the challenges and ethical issues the coronavirus would likely pose to our university,” Syverud said in his remarks. “Today, in February 2022, I fear we are facing a very different but significant moment with some great challenges.”

Syverud said that Russia had recently invaded Ukraine and noted the presence of students, faculty and staff at SU from the two countries.

Given the university’s high percentage of students, faculty and staff currently on active duty in military, guards and reserves, their lives and schedules may change dramatically on short notice due to the response to the conflict, Syverud said.

Though SU downgraded its COVID-19 alert level from “RED” to “BLUE” on Monday, Syverud said he does not anticipate any change from the current level up to and through the spring break. He thanked the university community for keeping the campus safe amid the omicron variant.

“It has been hard on our community, but thanks to all of you, we’re doing exceptionally well compared to our peers,” Syverud said. “They are envious of what our community has been able to achieve in commitment to safety in this area.”

Gretchen Ritter, SU’s vice president, provost and chief academic officer, referenced the meaning of Black History Month and honored two former SU faculty members in her remarks.

Charles Vert Willie, a former SU student, professor and administrator who received a Ph.D. in sociology from the university in 1957, was the first Black tenured faculty member at the university and also a vice president at SU, Ritter said. She credited him as a distinguished scholar of desegregation, race relations and higher education.

Constance Timberlake, another former faculty member in the department of family and community services honored by Ritter, is believed to be the first Black woman tenured at SU. She was appointed twice to the National Advisory Council for Continuing Education by former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, Ritter said.

“This month and every month, it is valuable to remember these two great scholars and community leaders who helped to shape the history of this institution,” Ritter said.

Other business

Ritter said the search committee for the vice president for research held its first meeting last week. After faculty members voiced concerns about lack of representation in the arts and humanities programs on the committee during last week’s University Senate Open Forum, Ritter said Romita Ray, an associate professor in the art and music histories department, has been invited to join the committee.

Marcelle Haddix, the distinguished dean’s professor of literacy, race and justice in the reading and language arts department of SU’s School of Education, was appointed as the new associate provost for strategic initiatives two weeks ago.

Syverud said the search for the next associate vice president and chief of campus safety and emergency management services is nearly complete. Syverud said he has met with the finalists and the university community can expect the announcement soon.

The search committee for SU’s chief financial officer has been selected, Syverud announced. The university is working with Korn Ferry, an organizational consulting firm, to identify candidates for the position.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Romita Ray’s name was misspelled. The Daily Orange regrets this error.