Coronavirus

SU downgrades to ‘BLUE’ masking level for 1st time since August

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-chief

SU switched from “BLUE” to “RED” on Aug. 28 and lasted throughout the fall 2021 semester.

Syracuse University will return to the “BLUE” COVID-19 alert level effective Monday, according to a campus-wide email Friday.

Mike Haynie, the vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation, said in a campus-wide email Friday that the decision was made after Onondaga County Health Department reported that the weekly average number of new cases and hospitalizations has declined by 85% and 58%, respectively, since mid-January.

Haynie also said, however, that less than 2.3% of students are not yet compliant with the university’s booster policy.

Under the “BLUE” level, all students, faculty and staff are required to wear masks during academic instruction regardless of vaccination status.

Masks are recommended, but not mandated, for vaccinated people indoors in the presence of others and outdoors in large groups. The university may also require people to wear masks during non-academic events on a case-by-case basis.

Haynie announced on Feb. 9, 2022, that the university will consider lowering it’s COVID-19 alert level to “BLUE” following Gov. Kathy Hochul’s announcement that New York would end the state-wide mask-or-vaccine mandate for indoor businesses effective Feb. 10.

At the time, Haynie said the decision of whether to lower mask level or not will be made after the university’s Public Health Team monitors the COVID-19 data on campus and throughout central New York for the next seven to 10 days.

Haynie announced the four-tiered masking system on Aug. 13, 2021, to modify the university’s requirements based on campus and community COVID-19 data.

SU switched from “BLUE” to “RED” on Aug. 28 and lasted throughout the fall 2021 semester. Under the “RED” level, all students, faculty, staff and visitors must wear masks indoors at all times and outside in the presence of others.

There were 95 active COVID-19 cases on SU campus as of Thursday, according to SU’s COVID-19 dashboard. The university’s surveillance positivity rate is at 1%.