SU announces search committee for next permanent vice president for research

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-Chief

The committee is tasked with consulting key campus stakeholders about the challenges facing the next vice president for research.

Gretchen Ritter, Syracuse University’s vice chancellor, provost and chief academic officer, announced the members of a search committee for the next permanent vice chancellor for research in a press release on Feb. 10.

The vice chancellor for research leads SU’s research enterprise and reports directly to the provost, according to the release. Ramesh Raina, a professor in SU’s biology department, has served as interim vice president of research since his appointment on Jan. 7, 2020.

Sarah Scalese, SU’s senior associate vice president for university communications, said that the university waited until a new provost was in place to coordinate the search for a new permanent vice chancellor for research. John Liu was appointed interim vice chancellor and provost the same time Raina was named interim vice chancellor for research. Ritter was named vice chancellor, provost and chief academic officer after Liu’s 22-months as the interim.

“I am grateful to Ramesh Raina, whose service as interim vice chancellor for research began just as the COVID-19 pandemic arrived. Syracuse University’s scholarly community has benefited from his leadership and advocacy,” Ritter said in the release.

The committee is tasked with consulting key campus stakeholders about the challenges facing the next vice chancellor for research. It will first develop a position description before advertising the position to a pool of candidates through a partnership with Paul Chou of Korn Ferry’s global education practice.

Scalese confirmed in an email to The Daily Orange that the committee is revising the position’s prior description and refining it based on new strategic priorities or opportunities.

Duncan Brown will lead the committee along with 13 other representatives of different communities at SU:

• Nicholas Armstrong, the managing director of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families
  • Kristen Barnes, a professor at the College of Law
  • Michel Benaroch, a professor at the Martin J. Whitman School of Management
  • Yousr Dhaouadi, a Ph.D. student at the College of Engineering and Computer Science and president of the Graduate Student Organization Senate
  • Heidi Hehnly, an associate professor at the College of Arts and Sciences
  • Sandra Lane, a professor at the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics
  • Christine Larsen G’84, a University Trustee
  • Regina Luttrell, an associate professor at the Newhouse School of Public Communications
  • Jennifer Karas Montez, a professor at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
  • Daekwon Park, an associate professor at the School of Architecture
  • Dacheng Ren, a professor at ECS
  • J. Cole Smith, the dean of ECS
  • Stuart Taub, the director of the Office of Sponsored Programs

“I am pleased and grateful that the committee includes a cross section of campus stakeholders who understand the importance this role will have in shaping the future of research at Syracuse University,” Ritter said in the release. “I am grateful to all of the committee members for participating in this search, which is so important for the University’s future trajectory.”

During the University Senate open forum on Wednesday, several SU faculty members expressed concerns regarding the lack of representation of humanities and arts programs on the search committee.

Only one member of the committee — Kristen Barnes, who holds a doctorate in literature — has a background in humanities. Sascha Scott, an associate professor in Native American and Indigenous studies department, pointed out that despite her doctorate, Barnes is not currently a practicing humanist.

“We need somebody who is actually practicing research as a humanist now,” Scott said in the meeting.
Ritter responded that such interests will have an opportunity to be heard at a listening session held by the committee. Laura Heyman, an associate professor in SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, questioned the purpose of the session.
“Listening sessions are not representation,” Heyman responded in the Zoom call’s chatbox.