Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football preseason storylines, No. 2: Who slots in at defensive end?

Jessica Sheldon | Photo Editor

Jake Pickard was listed as the top option on the post-spring depth chart at one of the two defensive end positions.

With Syracuse football training camp less than one week away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, will analyze one of the top 10 preseason storylines, top 10 position battles or reveal one of 10 player files each day. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

The interior of Syracuse’s defensive line should be settled. Chris Slayton, Steven Clark and Kayton Samuels will likely form a good enough crew to stop interior runs and give a bit of a pass rush.

But how the defensive end melee pans out will determine the quality of the front four. None of the ends in contention have played significant time on the line at the Division I level.

The post-spring depth chart listed Kenneth Ruff, an early enrollee freshman, and Trey Dunkelberger, a converted tight end, on one side position. Redshirt freshman Jake Pickard and senior walk-on Hernz Laguerre are listed at the other.

MORE PRESEASON COVERAGE: 

Since the end of spring ball, Syracuse grabbed Colorado transfer De’Jon Wilson, who played in 20 games as a reserve for the Buffaloes in 2013 and 2014. The Orange will also pick up three potential defensive ends from the 2016 recruiting class in Jaquwan Nelson, Josh Black and Kendall Coleman.

All three will have a shot to compete for the defensive end spots. Black seems like the most physically ready to step in. He’s the most stout of the three freshmen at 6 feet 3 inches and 257 pounds, while Nelson is listed at 6 feet 3 inches and 235 pounds, and Coleman stands 6 feet 3 inches and tips the scales at 253 pounds.

With several teams that will attack the edges in the Atlantic Coast Conference, it’ll be key for Syracuse to solidify the defensive end spots.