Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football preseason player file No. 5: Zaire Franklin

Zaire Franklin will anchor a defense that struggled mightily last year.

With Syracuse football training camp a few weeks away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, will analyze one of the top 10 preseason storylines, top 10 position battles or reveal one of 10 player files each day. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

Zaire Franklin

Position: Middle linebacker
Year: Junior
Ht: 6-0
Wt: 230

There may be no player on Syracuse more mature beyond his years than Zaire Franklin. Entering his second year as a captain, the junior will anchor a defense that can only go up.

Last year after the Orange was officially eliminated from bowl contention, Franklin took the podium and offered no excuses, no sugarcoating, just “we weren’t good enough” and disappointment. That included himself, who had his blemishes during a 4-8 season — most notably a penalty that negated a would-be fourth down late in regulation against Virginia, allowing the Cavaliers to keep their drive alive, eventually send the game to overtime and ultimately win.

This year, Franklin returns to the middle linebacker spot, where he led the team in total tackles last year with 81. He was second in tackles for loss with 11. He also tacked on an interception and two forced fumbles. If Syracuse and Dino Babers are going to lean on one defensive player to flip the script on that side of the ball, it’ll be Franklin.

Franklin was limited during spring practice with an unspecified injury, but has returned to full strength, he told Syracuse.com at the ACC Football Kickoff. In the middle of second-year starter Parris Bennett and first-year starter Jonathan Thomas — the current pecking order on the depth chart — Franklin will have to guide another unit with no seniors that struggled at times last year to prevent some elite running backs from going down in the second level.

“We’re just looking forward to heading into camp as healthy as possible, leaving camp as healthy as possible and getting win one against Colgate,” Franklin told Syracuse.com

Health has been a huge issue for the defense in years past, especially last year. Except for holes left by the departures of Julian Whigham and Ron Thompson, most of the starters are returners.

The most notable of those returners is Franklin, and on his shoulders rest the heightened expectations in a new regime and the personal expectation of being anything better than last year.

Read more about Zaire Franklin: