Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football preseason player file No. 4: Dontae Strickland

Dontae Strickland is listed on Syracuse's depth chart as the team's starting running back. He didn't even play the position as a freshman in 2015.

With Syracuse football training camp less than one week away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, will analyze one of the top 10 preseason storylines, top 10 position battles or reveal one of 10 player files each day. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

Dontae Strickland

Position: Running back
Year: Sophomore
Ht: 5-11
Wt: 196

One of the biggest jumps made from the end of 2015 depth chart to the post-spring one in April was by Dontae Strickland. When new head coach Dino Babers took over, Strickland’s position didn’t even exist anymore — the hybrid — but now he’s slotted as the team’s starting running back going into his second season.

Strickland carried the ball just 21 times for 81 yards and a touchdown last year. Several of those carries were on reverses. He also caught nine passes for 137 yards and two scores, including a long of 62 yards. In the spring game, he had 84 yards on 12 carries.

MORE PRESEASON PLAYER FILES:

“He’ll make plays, very smart individual,” Babers said after the spring game. “I think he’s going to be a heck of a football player for us in some combination with somebody else back there.”

The combination remains to be seen. But in an offense that likes to pass a lot, Strickland’s experience at the hybrid spot last year should make him a viable option to catch passes out of the backfield. He’s also the faster option over last year’s starter Jordan Fredericks who added seven pounds heading into the spring.

Even in a pass-heavy offense, expect his carries and receptions to increase significantly in 2016.

Read more about Dontae Strickland