Countdown to Camp 2016

Syracuse football preseason player file No. 7: Brisly Estime

Brisly Estime is one of Syracuse's most explosive players. He adds a dynamic element on punt returns, too.

With Syracuse football training camp a few weeks away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Chris Libonati, Jon Mettus and Matt Schneidman, will analyze one of the top 10 preseason storylines, top 10 position battles or reveal one of 10 player files each day. Check out dailyorange.com and follow along here to countdown to camp.

Brisly Estime

Position: Wide receiver
Year: Senior
Ht: 5-9
Wt: 182

Why he’s key for SU: Brisly Estime is one of Syracuse’s biggest potential playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and on special teams. He’s the only returning SU player to receive All-ACC honors, even if it was just an honorable mention, and boasts a wealth of agility and speed.

Estime made a name for himself in the punt return game last year, averaging 18.1 yards per return, which was second in the country and first in the Atlantic Coast Conference. He was the first SU player since 1997 to return two punts for touchdowns in a season. He’ll keep that role this season.

He was the Orange’s second leading receiver with 293 yards — significantly less than Steve Ishmael’s 570 yards — and only had two touchdowns. One of his catches was an 89-yard score from quarterback Eric Dungey. It was the third longest pass play in program history.

The 2016 season is Estime’s last shot to sustain the talent and tap into the potential that he has and gets talked about prior to each season. He’ll be a slot receiver, which means he’ll be matched up with linebackers and safeties consistently.

MORE PRESEASON PLAYER FILES:

Two years ago, George McDonald’s no-huddle scheme was supposed to be a perfect fit for Estime. But he spent the majority of the season nursing a high ankle sprain and said that the offense was hard to learn.

Now, he has another shot with a fast-paced attack that should get him the ball in space.

Read more about Brisly Estime: