Crime

Former Syracuse University student sentenced for stealing 22 computers from Link Hall

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Dhawal Gandhi, a former Syracuse University student who stole 22 computers from Link Hall on Feb. 19, was sentenced to time served and a conditional discharge on Friday in Onondaga County Court.

The former Syracuse University student who stole 22 computers from a Link Hall computer lab on Feb. 19 was sentenced to time served and a conditional discharge on Friday in Onondaga County Court.

Dhawal Gandhi, 31, trespassed into Link Hall at about 10:17 p.m. on Feb. 19 and stole 22 Nexlink desktop computers, LCD monitors, mice and keyboards. The computers were valued at $30,798.90. In March, he was charged with burglary in the third degree, grand larceny in the third degree and criminal mischief in the third degree.

After Gandhi pled guilty to his third-degree burglary charge, Acting Supreme Court Justice John Brunetti sentenced Gandhi to time served and a three-year conditional discharge, according to a May 27 Syracuse.com article.

In the courtroom on Friday, Gandhi told the judge he was “extremely sorry” for what he did and it “should never have happened,” according to the Syracuse.com article.

Gandhi asked Brunetti for permission to return to the SU campus to collect his personal belongings, including his passport, from a locker, according to the Syracuse.com article. Graeme Spicer, Gandhi’s lawyer, told the judge that Gandhi had other issues to resolve before returning to his home country of India.

When Gandhi stole the Link Hall computers, he was reportedly homeless, according to the Syracuse.com article.

Thirteen of the 22 computers were recovered in March. Gandhi told police officers that he sold some of the computers and accessories on Craigslist and eBay, according to the Syracuse.com article.

A representative from the Onondaga County Supreme Court was not immediately available for comment.