Crime

How a former Syracuse University student allegedly stole 22 computers from Link Hall

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Twenty-two computers were stolen from Link Hall on Feb. 19. Thirteen have been recovered.

The former Syracuse University student who was arrested and charged in connection to the Feb. 19 theft of 22 computers from Link Hall is suspected of stealing all 22 computers, according to a court document.

Dhawal Gandhi, 31, trespassed into Link Hall at about 10:17 p.m. on Feb. 19 and stole 22 Nexlink desktop computers, according to the document. The computers were valued at $30,798.90.

Gandhi was charged with burglary in the third degree, grand larceny in the third degree and criminal mischief in the third degree, according to the document. All three charges are felonies.

The stolen computers had been fixed in place with a cable lock and Gandhi used an “unknown cutting tool” to cut the cables, according to the document.

Thirteen of the 22 computers have been recovered, according to a Department of Public Safety notice.

Gandhi is currently being held at the Onondaga County Justice Center, according to an email sent Wednesday by Can Isik, a senior associate dean in the College of Engineering and Computer Science, to students in the college.