Crime

13 of 22 computers stolen from Link Hall have been recovered, former SU student arrested for burglary

Courtesy of Stephen Sartori

Twenty-two computers — along with LCD monitors, mice and keyboards — were stolen from Link Hall Room 202 on Feb. 19.

A former Syracuse University student has been arrested and charged in connection to the theft of 22 computers from a Link Hall computer lab, according to an email sent Wednesday to students in the College of Engineering and Computer Science.

The student was charged with burglary in the third degree, grand larceny in the third degree and criminal mischief in the third degree, said Can Isik, senior associate dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science, in the email. The student was first named in the email as Dhawalk Gandhi, and on a second reference referred to as “Ghandi.”

Thirteen of the 22 computers have been recovered and are currently being held as evidence, according to the email.

The computers — along with LCD monitors, mice and keyboards — were stolen from Link 202 on Feb. 19 and students were notified Feb. 22.

Both the Syracuse Police Department and SU’s Department of Public Safety investigated the incident, according to the email.

“We are extremely grateful for the diligent work of the Department of Public Safety and Syracuse Police Department in their efforts to investigate and apprehend the person responsible for a theft that greatly impacted our College,” Isik said in the email.

The arrested former student is currently being held at the Onondaga County Justice Center, according to the email.