Coronavirus

SU releases week 1 positivity rate, pre-arrival COVID-19 cases

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

About 300 students tested positive on their pre-arrival COVID-19 tests, while an additional 332 positive cases were identified during the arrival testing process.

Syracuse University reported a 2.9% COVID-19 test positivity rate from Jan. 24 to Jan. 28, according to a campus-wide email from Mike Haynie, the vice chancellor for strategic initiatives and innovation.

The university reported the positivity rate after conducting 7,300 tests during the first week of testing, Haynie said in the email.

There are currently 201 active cases among members of the campus community, which Haynie said is not unexpected given the highly contagious omicron variant. Only 20% of SU’s isolation housing is currently occupied, and the university has contingency plans to increase the amount of isolation housing if needed, Haynie said.

About 300 students tested positive on their pre-arrival COVID-19 tests, while an additional 332 positive cases were identified during the arrival testing process, according to the email.

Students who tested positive on pre-arrival tests were instructed to stay home until they completed their isolation period, and students who tested positive upon arrival were directed to isolation.

The reason for students testing positive upon arrival despite testing negative at home could be attributed to the potential for “false negative” results for asymptomatic individuals who took at-home antigen tests, which is why the university incorporated PCR testing in its arrival process, Haynie said.

Nearly 98% of on-campus students are expected to be in compliance with SU’s COVID-19 vaccine and booster shot requirement after accounting for medical and religious exemptions, per the email.

The results from the wastewater testing program have been favorable, Haynie said, with no quantifiable levels of the virus identified from the two on-campus residence halls that were tested last week.