Beyond the Hill

Show some love to these new restaurants this Valentine’s Day

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

Restaurants new to Syracuse this year, like Over the Cuse, offer a space for friends and sweethearts to share a meal. Fancy or laid-back, the list includes an atmosphere for anyone to enjoy.

Return to the Splash Page

It can be hard to find the perfect place to share a Valentine’s Day meal with your special someone. If you’re bored of the Chipotle on Marshall Street, take a look at these restaurants that opened in the past year to try something new with your Valentine this season.

If your date loves Instagram-able spots, take them to:

She Fancy
484 S. Salina St, Syracuse, NY

This restaurant makes charcuterie boards and artisanal sandwiches — perfect for a date who believes “the camera eats first.” Besides the photogenic food, the restaurant moved to Salt City Market in December, a popular location with a variety of places to shop and eat. Wander around with your partner and taste-test the various restaurants in the market.

Joe Zhao | Assistant Photo Editor

If your date bleeds orange through and through, head down to:

Over the Cuse Deli and Grill
712 E. Fayette St.

With the Syracuse skyline featured on the wall, Over the Cuse Deli and Grill is perfect for a diehard SU fan. With burgers like the “Otto” with two patties and the “Big Cuse” with three patties, you and your date can celebrate your school spirit together. The restaurant opened in December and has been showcasing its love for Syracuse since.

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

If your date is a world traveler with a penchant for beautiful views, make a reservation at:

Emerald Cocktail Kitchen
1333 W. Fayette St.

Emerald Cocktail Kitchen opened in June and is known for having the only rooftop bar in Syracuse, creating the perfect romantic Valentine’s Day atmosphere. If you and your date are above drinking age, enjoy specialty cocktails like a peanut butter espresso martini with Skrewball Whiskey, Kahlúa Coffee Liqueur, Francesca Hazelnut Liqueur and Recess Coffee espresso – along with seasonal options like “Dark of Ether.” For dates under 21, enjoy their mocktail menu with drinks like the “Cos-NO-politan.”

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

If your date is laid-back and doesn’t like big fancy dates, head over to:

Brazen Café
725 Irving Ave.

With breakfast sandwiches, soups, rice bowls and more, Brazen Café is the perfect spot for a low key Valentine’s Day date. The cafe opened in August and is located near Marshall Street, convenient for college sweethearts without a car. Grab a bite to eat with your partner and enjoy the warm, friendly atmosphere — as well as each other’s company, of course.

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

If your date is a fiend for Latin American food, take them to:

El Habanero
324 Burnet Ave.

Since opening its doors in June, El Habanero combines Cuban and Mexican food to provide options for everyone. Tell your date the fun fact that the restaurant used to be known around Syracuse for its giant Cuban sandwiches, then offer to buy them one. The menu also offers specialty desserts like Cuban rice pudding and Mexican dishes like quesadillas, tostadas, chalupas and chimichangas – take your pick!

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor

If your date is a wine connoisseur – or connaisseur wannabe – make a reservation at:

Nobody’s
222 Walton St.

For dates who took a beer and wine class at SU and decided to make wine their passion, this wine bar is the perfect way to spend Valentine’s Day. The place cultivates a “big city vibe” and offers wine tasting for sommeliers of all skill levels. If you and your partner are looking to pick up a new hobby for the holiday, this is the place to do it.

Cassandra Roshu | Photo Editor