3 stories you missed while partying at Mayfest

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

Alek Kuethping, an 18-year-old woman, died Wednesday after being shot on Westcott Street.

Here are three news stories you may have missed from the over the weekend.

SU announces campus construction updates

Syracuse University plans to work on more than 80 capital projects over the summer, with several on-campus construction projects scheduled for completion within the 2019-20 academic year, Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer of SU, said in a campus-wide email on Friday afternoon.

The Barnes Center at the Arch is on track to be completed by the fall 2019 semester, said Sala. The Arch, a $50 million renovation of SU’s Archbold Gymnasium, will include a multi-floor fitness center and a multi-activity sports court.

Link Hall will undergo renovations and utilities over this summer as part of the construction of the Bill and Penny Allyn Innovation Center, Sala said. The final renovations to Crouse College will begin over the summer, with the college’s three cupolas replaced immediately following Commencement in May and re-installed in August.

Woman shot on Westcott Street dies

Alek Kuethping, an 18-year old woman, died Wednesday after being shot on Apr. 21 on the 200 block of Westcott Street, according to Syracuse.com. A vigil was held Saturday in her memory.

Kuethping was a student at Tompkins Cortland Community College and a graduate of Henninger High School. Her family moved to Syracuse when she was 3 years old after escaping civil war in South Sudan.

Destiny USA bonds downgraded

Moody’s Investors Service downgraded Destiny USA’s bonds on Monday to a level scarcely above investment-grade, with the credit rating service considering lowering the mall’s $297 million bonds to junk status, per Syracuse.com.

The junk bond status would indicate that the mall has a high risk for defaulting on its bonds, deterring investors and banks from buying bonds.

The downgrading of bonds could make it more difficult for Destiny USA’s owner, Pyramid Management Group, to refinance their debt. Pyramid is responsible for paying $430 million in two mortgages on the mall, according to Syracuse.com.