on campus

Construction update: Undergraduate research center complete

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

The Center for Undergraduate Research is located on the 2nd floor of Bird Library.

Construction of Syracuse University’s new Center for Undergraduate Research in Bird Library is finished, according to a campus-wide email sent Thursday afternoon.

Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, said in the email that the undergraduate center, located on Bird’s second floor, will be an “entry point” to promote collaboration between undergraduates and faculty. Chancellor Kent Syverud has said the university is providing $1 million annually for the center, as well as research grants for undergraduate students.  

The LGBT Resource Center’s move from 750 Ostrom Ave. to the 5th floor of Bird has been delayed until Feb. 1, Sala said. The RC was scheduled to be relocate to Suite 550 during the winter break.

The Disability Cultural Center and Office of Multicultural Affairs will also be housed in Suite 550 after renovations to the Schine Student Center begin in May. All three organizations will be housed in Schine when renovations are complete.

Sala also gave updates on some of SU’s major construction projects, including renovations to Archbold Gymnasium and the construction of the National Veterans Resource Center.

The installation of the NVRC’s steel structure will continue into February, and the project is on schedule to open in January 2020, Sala said. The NVRC is a $62.5 million hub for veterans services on the corner of South Crouse and Waverly Avenues.

Archbold Gymnasium is undergoing an estimated $50 million transformation that involves expanding the facility by 7,000 square feet and building a multi-floor fitness center, rock climbing wall and “multi-activity sports court.” The north portion of the facility, designated Building C, is 75 percent complete, Sala said. The new facility, to be renamed “The Arch,” is project to open in fall 2019.

Rooms and student lounges in DellPlain and Day Halls will be renovated beginning in summer 2019, Sala said. DellPlain will see renovations to first-floor lounges and rooms on floors six, seven and eight, and all floors and lounges in Day will be renovated, he said. SU renovated some rooms in Day in summer 2018.

Sala also said door operators will installed at multiple gates at the Carrier Dome in January and February.