Updates on Syracuse University’s summer construction projects given at 1st information session

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

Details about the status of Syracuse University's various summer construction projects was given at the first of five information sessions on Wednesday.

UPDATED: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 1:22 p.m.

Updates on Syracuse University’s various summer construction projects were given at the first of five information sessions on Wednesday morning.

Jim Blum, senior project manager for campus planning, design and construction, and Mark Hance, assistant director of construction, presented details on work being done around the SU campus and answered questions and concerns raised by attendees. About 30 people, including workers on the projects, faculty and staff, were in attendance for the first information session.

The session was introduced as an overview of what has been done and what will be done for what Blum described as “a very aggressive summer construction project.”

Both presenters emphasized that one of their main concerns is making sure the campus community knows where information about the projects can be obtained.

The audience was directed to the campus planning, design and construction website. Some people mentioned browser issues, and the presenters said the website will work best when opened on Google Chrome.

The website will be updated each time a fence line changes and has maps showing where temporary walkways lead, Blum said.

One member of the audience mentioned that on Wednesday morning there may be an accessibility issue between the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the Schine Student Center. They were told by the people in charge of the information session that this problem would be addressed immediately.

Blum said construction on the University Place promenade is well underway. Demolition of the site is complete and water main installation is 50 percent done. He assured those in attendance that sewer pipes and water lines will not be interrupted.

On occasions when utilities have been interrupted due to construction, email blasts have been sent out to staff and faculty working in the affected buildings, he said.

Work on the promenade will continue with construction of plinths along the walkway where seating will eventually be installed, the construction of a concrete road base and regrading, Blum said.

The Quad 2 Parking Lot construction is also well underway with concrete stairs and retaining walls already poured, the presenters said. The electrical work for the site is 75 percent complete.

One of the main concerns raised at the session was how information regarding the projects is being conveyed to prospective students that may visit the SU campus during the summer. Blum said there has been communication with admissions and a large majority of campus tours will be in July, when construction is more complete.

He added that plans have been adjusted to accommodate various campus activity.

Following updates about the promenade and the Quad 2 Parking Lot, Hance presented a brief overview of other construction projects happening around campus.

DellPlain, Flint and Haven halls are all undergoing renovations. Roof replacements are being done for Newhouse II, the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, the Heroy Geology Building, Link Hall and the Schine Dining wing. The replacement and extension of the elevator in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall will begin soon, making Gifford Auditorium accessible.

The Quad has been closed off completely. Improvements to the Quad include better access to tent tie downs and electrical hookups for outdoor events.

Most of the projects will be complete before students return for the fall semester, but some projects will extend into September. The side replacement to the Center for Science and Technology will be ongoing when students return.

Although construction on the promenade will be complete before students return to campus, Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer, said students will be re-engaged upon their return and will be asked for input on seating installation.

“We’re confident that the portions of the project that need to be done before the students return will be done,” Sala said.