SU construction update: Tennity to receive new cooling system; University Place road, walkways removed

Rachel Gilbert | Feature Editor

The road and walkways along University Place have been removed during the construction of the promenade.

The road and walkways have been removed by construction crews working on the University Place promenade project, Syracuse University announced Monday.

The promenade will be a car-free walkway between South Crouse Avenue and College Place.

The update on the controversial project was sent in a weekly email update from Pete Sala, vice president and chief campus facilities officer at SU. The promenade project has drawn criticism by some in the SU community who feel the money being used to fund the project should be used elsewhere and the promenade will cause more traffic problems. Some also complained about the lack of transparency from the administration about the project.

In his email to the SU community, Sala also provided updates on some of the more than 120 construction projects happening around campus this summer. Here are the other construction updates included in the email:

Tennity Ice Pavilion: The existing ice rink cooling system has been decommissioned and is being removed. The installation of a new cooling system will begin over the next few weeks.

University Place promenade: The road and walkways have been removed and regrading of the new Quad 2 Parking Lot drive has begun. Electrical infrastructure construction in the Quad 2 Parking Lot will be largely completed this week. The temporary water main is in service on the west side of the project, where the first sections of new water main have been installed.

DellPlain, Haven and Flint Hall renovations: Demolition and environmental remediation are progressing well and new work in student dorm rooms and restrooms is underway.

Heroy Geology Building: Work has begun on the construction of the new space that will house the National Science Foundation Research Traineeship Program. Renovations are also underway on a variety of spaces in Heroy.

HBC elevator: Work to replace the elevator in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall began this week. This new elevator will provide accessible service to the Gifford Auditorium level for the first time and is anticipated to be in service in mid-August.

Brewster/Boland/Brockway Complex electrical service replacement: Excavation and ductbank construction is underway along the west edge of the Stadium Parking Lot. As the work continues north, the university will provide notice for the upcoming closure of Van Buren Street. SU anticipates this road closure to occur from July 11-22. More information about this will be provided soon.

Classroom and auditorium improvements: Classroom technology improvements are now underway in Bowne Hall, Watson Auditorium and 032 Eggers Hall, as well as other locations.

CST siding replacement: Most of the existing siding has been removed and insulation board is being installed.

Quad improvement project: The Quad improvement project power, data and water infrastructure work is wrapping up, and fencing around the Quad will be going up shortly. The installation of tent tie-downs, power, data and irrigation will commence next week.

Roof replacements: Roof replacements across campus are moving quickly and are occurring at the Schine Student Center Dining Wing, Newhouse II, the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Heroy and Link Hall.

Steam projects: Steam line replacements are well underway in front of Sims Hall, with the new condensate line backfilled and site restoration beginning. Efforts will now shift to the condensate line replacement at the entry to the Quad 4 Parking Lot, which will have minor impacts on traffic in and out of the lot for the next two weeks. The major steam line replacement project at the intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues started last week and is already moving quickly.

The first of five construction update sessions will be held on Wednesday in Lyman Hall at 9:30 a.m., Sala said in the email.