Terrel Hunt appeals NCAA’s denial of 6th season: ‘I think it’s unfair’

David Salinitri | Staff Photographer

Terrel Hunt is appealing the NCAA's denial of his sixth year of eligibility. He played just one game in 2015 and tore his Achilles in the first quarter.

Syracuse quarterback Terrel Hunt wants to “get the word out” about his appeal to the NCAA. When he was denied a sixth year of eligibility in November he said he couldn’t stop crying.

Hunt has missed 18 games over the past two seasons, but by playing five games in 2014 — one more than the maximum for a medical redshirt — he was initially ruled ineligible for a sixth year.

“I think it’s unfair,” Hunt said. “I understand the NCAA has a job to do and there are set rules but … I want to get awareness about it and hopefully that helps me with my appeal.”

Hunt tore his Achilles in the first game of 2015 and missed the rest of the season. But since he redshirted in 2011, he would have had to miss a minimum of 70 percent of games in each of two seasons due to injury, something he’s only done in one season, in order to obtain the sixth year. He said on Thursday he’ll be appealing the NCAA’s initial denial regarding his sixth season.

Correspondence with the NCAA has strictly been through letters, Hunt said, and by speaking with the media, he wants to make the appeal process more personal.

“Anybody can say no in a letter,” Hunt said, “but the NCAA, they’re human, they have hearts.”

In Hunt’s 2012 redshirt-freshman season, he played just two snaps on special teams against Southern California at MetLife Stadium. Hunt, who is from nearby Rosedale, New York, got to play close to home. Those two snaps count toward a year of his eligibility. If he didn’t play, he could have argued to get that year of eligibility back.

Hunt said his sixth season, if granted, would most likely be at Syracuse, though he hasn’t yet decided. He added that he likes the offense that recently-hired head coach Dino Babers runs.

“This is where I want to be, this is where I started but never got to finish,” Hunt said. “This is my home. I love this place.”

Hunt is working with Director of Athletics Mark Coyle and Director of Compliance Mark Wheeler. He’s also hired an outside lawyer but said since the appeal is going through the school, the lawyer “can only do so much.”

For now, though, it’s just a waiting game and in the mean time, Hunt is doing whatever he can to get his sixth season.

“When you put all your eggs in one basket, and then all those eggs get crushed, what are you going to cook with?”

And now that he’s appealing the initial decision, Hunt hopes he won’t get crushed again.