Shafer: Syracuse will apply for 6th-year waiver for Terrel Hunt

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Syracuse will apply for a sixth year of eligibility for injured quarterback Terrel Hunt, Scott Shafer said on Tuesday's teleconference.

Syracuse has already started the process to apply for a sixth-year waiver for injured quarterback Terrel Hunt, SU head coach Scott Shafer said on his weekly teleconference Tuesday.

“It will just be a wait and see with the NCAA,” Shafer said.

Hunt tore his right Achilles 7:27 into Syracuse’s 47-0 win over Rhode Island on Friday night, and will be sidelined for the entire 2015 season. The injury comes after Hunt fractured his fibula and missed the last seven games of 2014. He was replaced by true freshman quarterback Eric Dungey, who is presumed to be the starting quarterback moving forward.

Shafer also said that Hunt was “getting fixed as we speak” during the teleconference, but it was unclear whether that meant the surgery was happening early Tuesday afternoon.

It’s the first time Shafer is going through the application for a sixth season, and said that he’s handing it over to Syracuse’s medical staff. He also couldn’t assess Hunt’s chances because of his unfamiliarity with sixth-year medical waivers, but said he will continue to learn about the process as the Orange moves forward with it.

“Terrel’s a real strong young man who has overcome a lot in his life,” Shafer said. “When you look at the injury situation, just a horrible situation for a strong young man.”