Campus Lockdown

DPS discusses details of Wednesday night’s Orange Alert and campus lockdown

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

(From left) DPS Chief Bobby Maldonado and Chief Law Enforcement Officer Tony Callisto address reporters at a press conference on Thursday. The two spoke about the Orange Alert and campus lockdown that resulted Wednesday from a homicide about two miles away from campus.

The Department of Public Safety lifted the lockdown on the Syracuse University campus Wednesday night because police were confident the suspects were no longer in the area, Chief Law Enforcement Officer Tony Callisto said Thursday.

“There’s no reason to believe that there’s any increased or heightened risk associated with the incident that occurred,” Callisto said. “There’s no reason to believe there’s any additional risk to Syracuse University as a result of that incident.”

The suspects in a homicide Wednesday night on Hope Avenue, about two miles from campus, are still at-large. At a press conference Thursday, Callisto, along with Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado, updated reporters on the usage of the Orange Alert system and answered questions relating to the overall safety of campus following the “shelter-in-place” issued Wednesday.

Around 7:20 p.m. Wednesday, 15-year-old Zavion Escobar was shot and killed at 148 Hope Ave., and a 17-year-old was shot in the leg. The suspects in the shooting fled the scene to Oakwood Cemetery on Comstock Avenue where police searched while the SU campus was on lockdown. The Orange Alert was called off around 10:35 p.m. Wednesday night.

The SPD homicide investigation is ongoing. Callisto did give some details about the incident, including that the suspects dumped their vehicle near the Oakwood Cemetery.

During the lockdown, students in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications were moved to classes toward the inside of the building and the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium. Students in Flint Hall were told to turn their lights off. Students in Bird Library were asked not to leave the building until further notice. Members of Otto’s Army that were attending a meeting for the organization were told to remain in Maxwell Hall.

Callisto said the Orange Alert was successful as it got the information out to the SU community. He added that the last time the Orange Alert system was used for a criminal incident was in 2008 following gunshots on Madison Avenue near the University Avenue garage.

“If we didn’t think there was any threat to our community, then we most likely would not have sent the message,” Maldonado said.

Callisto added that there was no discussion of canceling classes on Thursday at SU.

“Crimes happen,” he said. “It’s a city setting and we’re prepared to re-deploy at any time and do the best we can to help our students keep themselves safe.”