Campus Lockdown

Syracuse University campus lockdown lifted after homicide on Hope Avenue

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

A view of Hope Avenue, where a homicide of a 15-year-old male occurred.

Updated: Oct. 15 at 2 a.m.

Police are unsure of the whereabouts of two suspects involved in a homicide on Hope Avenue Wednesday evening that left a 15-year-old male dead and a 17-year-old male injured from a gunshot to the leg.

The homicide happened at 148 Hope Ave, about two miles from campus, around 7:20 p.m, according to a release from the Syracuse Police Department. Lt. Eric Carr confirmed the suspects were not in custody as of 11:05 p.m. Wednesday.

The search for the shooters led police to Oakwood Cemetery on Comstock Avenue. A Syracuse University Orange Alert was issued telling students to stay indoors around 8:30 p.m. The campus lockdown lasted just over two hours. A search for the suspects at Oakwood Cemetery was called off around 10:35 p.m.

The suspects fired several shots at a police car on Hope Avenue, but the police did not fire back, and the suspects then fled into Oakwood Cemetery, police said.

As officers were in pursuit of the suspects, more officers were dispatched to 148 Hope Ave. for the shooting that left a 15-year-old male dead and a 17-year-old male with a gunshot wound to his leg, according to the release. The 15-year-old was found on the rear porch of the residence, and the 17-year-old was transferred to Upstate University Hospital where he received treatment for non life-threatening injuries, according to the release.

Police blocked off the area of Hope Avenue between West Colvin Street and Warner Avenue. About 60 residents of the community stood in groups. The common topic of conversation among those standing outside was the age of the victims.

Some community members were crying and embracing. One woman who appeared to be having a panic attack would not accept help or consolation from bystanders. Community members approached her, but she thrashed away. A police officer walked over and mediated the incident. About a dozen police officers were on the scene, with most wearing Gang Task Force vests.

“It’s too damn sad, too damn sad. It’s a shame, we didn’t raise our kids like this,” said one Syracuse woman on the scene. “We as people can’t be like this.”

Desmont Tillie, a 28-year-old Syracuse resident, said he has seen incidents like this occur too many times in the 13 years he has lived in the neighborhood, and added that he feels sorry for the parents that have to go through things like this.

“I’ve watched this too many times and there ain’t really too much to dwell on,” Tillie said. “You know certain of these kids and you tell them to be safe constantly and constantly.

“I went through this my whole entire life. It’s just sad to see a lot of 15-, 16-, 12-, 13-year-olds going through the same thing.”

Syracuse police had previously confirmed there was at least one armed person near campus. In response, SUNY-ESF’s Centennial Hall was put on lockdown and the SU campus was put on “shelter-in-place,” meaning people were to remain inside.

A helicopter was seen hovering above the cemetery around 8 p.m. and dozens of police officers were stationed along Comstock Avenue, including state police.

An Orange Alert was sent to SU and SUNY-ESF students around 8:30 p.m. via text message and phone. SU proceeded to send two additional Orange Alerts around 9 and 10 p.m.

The alert read: “SPD investigating crime off campus, shelter in place. Remain in doors, don’t let anyone in, stay out of Oakwood Cemetery, report suspicious activity.”

During the lockdown, students in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications were moved to classes toward the inside of the building and the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium. Students in Flint Hall were told to turn their lights off. Students in Bird Library were asked not to leave the building until further notice. Members of Otto’s Army that were attending a meeting for the organization were told to remain in Maxwell Hall.

An Orange Alert was sent out just after 10:30 p.m. notifying the campus community that the lockdown had been lifted and it was safe to return to normal activity.