Commencement 2016

Class of 2016 marshals selected to represent graduating class, help select commencement speaker

Alexis Peña and Tatiana Williams have been named the senior class marshals for the class of 2016.

Peña and Williams will carry the class of 2016 banner to open Syracuse University’s 162nd commencement ceremony on May 15, 2016. Outside of carrying the banner, Peña and Williams will help select the commencement speaker, among other tasks. Both Peña and Williams are a part of the Renée Crown University Honors program. James Yu, an art and policy studies dual major, has been selected as an alternate senior class marshal, according to an SU News release.

Peña is a biomedical engineering major from Durham, North Carolina. She said in the release the role is “an incredible honor.”

“Ultimately, I want to give back to the university as a marshal as my last thanks during my senior year for all the wonderful opportunities SU has allotted me thus far,” Peña said in the release.

Williams is a social work major from Rochester, New York and said the role culminates her connection to SU.

“To me this honor means that I will be able to stand proudly before a class of innovators, visionaries, leaders and dedicated individuals that are destined for greatness, and lead them with that same vision and that same dedication,” Williams said in the release.