Student Association

Assembly passes 2 bills, elects committee members

The Student Association had a variety of tasks on its agenda Monday night that included passing bills and electing members to committees.

During its weekly meeting Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium, SA passed a pair of bills with different purposes. A medical amnesty bill and transfer student integration bill both passed through assembly voting, and 12 students were elected as board members and representatives during the meeting.

The medical amnesty bill proposes that the university make a formal policy where students helping a friend in need by contacting emergency services shouldn’t face consequences for being under the influence. Students would have to complete a drug and alcohol program under the amnesty, which wouldn’t show up on their record. Students still could face consequences for repeat offenses and other actions, according to the bill.

The Transfer Student Integration Act of 2015 was also passed during the meeting. This bill proposes that the university allow transfer students to rush Greek Life during their first year. The transfer students would have to bring at least a 3.2 GPA from their previous institution and be a full time student on campus at SU, according to the bill.

The Board of Election and Membership held elections to fill open seats during the meeting as well. Seven students were elected to serve as members of the board.

Janine Bogris, a freshman public relations major and newly elected board member, said she is looking forward to working school wide elections and is looking forward to helping with recruiting. “I am really passionate about working with the membership of the election,” she said.

Bogris was also elected as the Class of 2018 Alumni Representative. She said she understands how important connections with alumni are and wants to represent her class who will all someday be alumni.

Four open seats on the Board of Administrative Operations were also filled during the meeting. All four candidates were nominated to serve on the board by different members of the assembly respectively.

In addition, Tatiana Williams, a junior social work major, was elected during the meeting to serve on the Judicial Review Board. Williams, a residential adviser and member of SU’s conduct board, said her time sitting on that board relates to serving SA’s judicial review and that both her passion and experience make her good for the position.