Government shutdown causes Sen. Gillibrand to cancel lecture

U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s lecture at Syracuse University has been canceled as a result of the government shutdown.

The senator was set to speak on Monday, according to an email from Patricia Quinlan, a Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs administrative assistant. A rescheduled date hasn’t been set. 

In her lecture titled “The American Opportunity Agenda,” Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) was expected to appear in Eggers Hall to speak about proposals to help middle-class women workers attain financial security by modernizing workplace policies, according to an Oct. 8 SU News release.

The shutdown, which started on Oct. 1, has cut non-essential parts that are funded by the U.S. government, such as national parks and certain government office buildings. Members of Congress, like Gillibrand, are still paid during the government shutdown.

Gillibrand’s office could not be reached for comment.

Gillibrand was sworn in as a U.S. senator in January 2009, assuming Hillary Clinton’s former seat. In the senate, she sits on the Environment and Public Works; Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry; and Armed Services committees, and the Special Committee on Aging. Before becoming a senator, she represented New York’s 20th Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives from 2007-2009.