Screams of Silence event addresses issues of rape, violence against women

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, Lambda Pi Chi was misspelled. The Daily Orange regrets this error. 

On Tuesday night in Eggers Hall, four women asked an audience of about 35 to consider the quote, “A woman’s body is the platform of struggle.”

The South Asian Students Association and Lambda Pi Chi Sorority Inc. sponsored an event called “Screams of Silence,” which addressed the issues of rape and violence against women. Some of the topics discussed included how women can protect themselves against such attacks, what role pornography plays in attacks against women, and what laws have been implemented in the United States to end the violence.

With the help of active participation from the audience, Fariha Ahmed, a member of Lambda Pi Chi, discussed how women can protect themselves from violent acts. As an example, the group reflected on a situation in which a girl was assaulted in Thornden Park.

The group agreed neither women nor men should walk alone late at night, saying this puts a target on the person’s back.

“It’s just not smart,” said Megan Reynolds, a sophomore biology and nutrition major who attended the event.

Reynolds said she felt it was her duty to protect herself. People believe they should be able to walk around with no fear, but that is not reality, she said. People can control their own actions, but not the actions of others.

The discussion also touched on what role pornography has played in rape cases. People talked about how pornography as a whole has normalized sexual violence, and that it is generally a male-dominated culture.

Attendees and panelists discussed their differing opinions regarding why men rape women. Many of the female panelists and audience members said it was because men want to show their dominance over women and feel in control, much like the male-female dynamics displayed in pornography.

One student brought up Charles Darwin’s idea of male competition for women, and the idea that it is a natural instinct to want to mate. He suggested that biology, while not a justification for rape, is a possible reason for why men rape women.

Students said they viewed the discussion with positivity and support.

“People brought up very good points,” said Corina Lara, a sophomore biology major. “The biological part is true and should be considered.”

Modern government came into discussion toward the end of the event. The group of women brought up the Violence Against Women Act, which expired in 2011.

The main goal of the act was to hold rapists accountable and eliminate as many loopholes as possible for men to escape punishment. Recently, people have been fighting to get it signed into law again.

The bill passed only in the U.S. Senate on Feb. 12. Twenty-two senators voted against the bill, claiming the statements in the bill are common sense and that there is no need for the legislation because it’s a waste of time and money.

The group made a comparison to legislation banning murder and stealing. Though those things are both common sense, they have legislation.