SU Rising event raises awareness for violence against women

luke Rafferty | Asst. Photo Editor

Members of the Syracuse University community stand on the front steps of Hendricks Chapel to participate in a candlelight vigil to remember and honor the victims and survivors of violence against women. The silent vigil was part of the SU Rising event held on Thursday.

Despite the windy conditions, many of the candles held by those participating in a silent vigil about violence against women did not blow out.

The vigil, held on the steps of Hendricks Chapel on Thursday, was a part of SU Rising, an event that featured a ceremony, in addition to the candlelight vigil, to remember and honor the victims and survivors of violence against women.

For those that attended, the vigil had a very profound effect.

“This moment of silence kind of really makes you think about it and kind of just put yourself in their shoes,” said Martina Rizzo, a senior international relations major. “It’s hard to put yourself in what might be that pain. We go on in our daily lives without really thinking about the stuff that happens all around the world.”

The hour-long event featured performances by SU Zinda, a dance group, and Grammy Award-winning artist Joanne Shenandoah.

Leading the ceremony was Tula Goenka, an associate professor of television, radio and film and co-director of the South Asia Center at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. Goenka led a discussion, which focused on violence against women not only in South Asia but also on college campuses such as Syracuse University.

“Recent news events, such as the horrific gang rape in India, have brought into focus the issue of violence against women in other parts of the world,” Goenka said in a Feb. 7 SU News release. “However, we also need to address this at home in the U.S., and equally important, in our communities locally and on our campus specifically.”

It was the first year the event was held at Hendricks. But Hendricks event coordinator Michelle Larrabee said she hopes this can become an annual gathering.

“I think that this building is the center of the campus,” she said. “It’s a good place for all people to gather and be right out on the Quad so everyone can see us.”

Preceding Thursday evening’s ceremony and vigil was a community-wide dialogue held in Hendricks, in which students and faculty could discuss the issues of gender and violence against women.

Several of the students who attended Thursday evening had very strong opinions about the topic discussed.

“Violence against women, it seems like it’s more on the rise than ever,” said Danielle Skipper, a junior television, radio, and film major. “I feel like if a lot of people don’t think of it as a gender and just think of it as violence. I felt it was absolutely 100 percent necessary to be here tonight.”

Janet Epstein, director of the SU Advocacy Center, said in the release she hoped the day’s events would lead to a community dialogue about sexual violence.

Said Epstein in the release: “Our hope is that this dialogue will help students, faculty and staff identify ways that they can become empowered bystanders, recognizing their potential to take action to prevent sexual violence and committing to creating a caring supportive environment that is safer for all of our community members.”