Moore, Daoust to remain on Syracuse coaching staff

Wide receivers coach Rob Moore and defensive line coach Tim Daoust will continue to coach Syracuse this coming season, SU Athletics announced Thursday.

With the departures of former head coach Doug Marrone, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley, tight ends coach Greg Adkins, defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson and defensive assistant Jason Rebrovich, there was speculation Moore and Daoust might leave as well.

Instead, the duo will remain on Scott Shafer’s staff in the same positions they held in 2012.

Moore, who holds the Syracuse record for average receiving yards per game (75.8) and touchdown receptions (22), has coached the Orange wide receivers since 2010, and has fine-tuned the skills of Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales, among others.

Following a 12-year National Football League career, Moore coached at Phoenix Junior College and Montclair  High School (N.J.). A graduate of Syracuse University himself, Moore is a member of Syracuse’s All-Century team.

“We look forward to having former Syracuse stand out Rob Moore continue to coach the wide receivers,” Shafer said on SU Athletics’ website. “Rob has done a great job bringing his passion and pride for the Orange to work each day. He has done a fantastic job as a technician in teaching the intricacies of wide receiver play.”

Daoust coached at Northern Illinois University, Illinois State, Cincinnati and Western Michigan before joining the Syracuse staff in 2011. He has coached Chandler Jones, Brandon Sharpe and Jay Bromley, among others.

A critical part of Syracuse’s defensive resurgence, Daoust helped the SU defense rank sixth nationally in tackles for a loss in 2012.

“I am also extremely excited to have Tim Daoust back as he has done a great job developing the defensive line these past two seasons,” Shafer said. “He has the line playing with intensity and aggressiveness that has proven to be successful on the field. Tim is a tireless worker who continues to make a huge difference in the improvement of our defense.”