Common Ground for Peace

U.S. State Department, police forces work together to provide security during Dalai Lama visit

His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s visit to Syracuse University has required complex security as well as cooperation between the U.S. Department of State and campus, local and state police.

“Common Ground for Peace” is a two-day forum that will be held at SU on Oct. 8-9. The Dalai Lama and more than 20 musical artists will engage the Syracuse community on shifting global consciousness toward peace.

The event includes a public talk by the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibet, panel discussions for faculty and students, and a festival-style concert in the Carrier Dome.

The State Department, New York State Police, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department, Syracuse Police Department and SU’s Department of Public Safety are all involved in the security details for the event, said DPS Capt. John Sardino.

The State Department is specifically responsible for the personal protection and care of the Dalai Lama, Sardino said. DPS will provide security around SU’s perimeter, while SPD will be responsible for controlling and regulating traffic. The New York State Police and Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department will provide the motorcade and transportation security.

Sardino said he has worked with the State Department closely for the past two months. He added that it was important for the State Department and the state and local police and security organizations to learn how to interact with one another.

An outside security company has been hired to control and monitor the magnetometers, security devices that are similar to those used as airport security. These devices will be used at the various events, Sardino said.

Pete Sala, managing director of the Carrier Dome, said Dome security for the One World Concert is based around the State Department.

“We’re working through the State Department. What they say goes,” Sala said.

He added that the level of security at the Dome depends on “the level of the diplomat.” Security varies for each public figure, he said.

The mix of the Dalai Lama, different foreign dignitaries and celebrities involved in the event makes it very complex to plan security, Sardino said.

“Other events have been more straightforward,” he said.

The amount of planning invested in the One World Concert and panels is different from previous visits from public figures, such as Vice President Joseph Biden Jr., Sardino said.

As of now, there is no knowledge of protests in response to the Dalai Lama’s visit, Sardino said.

“We have done research on protests that occurred at other venues because of the Dalai Lama,” he said. “We do have a plan on how to react to a protest if there is one.”

For the One World Concert, Sardino estimated that 27,000 to 28,000 people will be in attendance.

Attendees will not be allowed to bring bags to the Dome. Everyone will be subjected to thorough security checks and examinations, Sardino said.

Sardino said the planning of security has been a smooth process despite the different organizations involved, and that he’s excited for the event.

“I’m really looking forward to this, professionally speaking,” Sardino said. “I enjoy doing this. It’s been pretty exhilarating.”