Common Ground For Peace

Panels available to community through live stream webcast

Students and other members of the public who were unable to get tickets for the Common Ground for Peace Symposium panels will now be able to watch live via webcast.

The two panels will be streamed live by Ustream, and those interested can access the video on oneworld.syr.edu/webcast, according to an Oct.1 SU News release.

The videos of the panels will eventually be available on the One World website, but not immediately, said Erin Kane, associate vice president of public relations. The footage will be edited for time and, since the video crew is also filming the concert on Tuesday, the video will likely not be available until later in the week.

Tickets are required to attend each of the panels and can only be used for the session listed on the ticket. All tickets for the panels have already been distributed, according to the release.

The event will feature two panels on Oct. 8, one from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and another from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Both panels will be moderated by NBC correspondent Ann Curry and feature His Holiness the Dalai Lama. They will be held in Goldstein Auditorium in the Schine Student Center, according to the release.

As the date of the panels gets closer, the names of the panels and several of the panelists have changed.

The morning panel will now be called “The Rise of Democracy in the Middle East” instead of “The Arab Spring,” according to the release.

The previous title was only a working title and was changed once the panelists were finalized, Kane said.

The members of the morning panel are: Iranian human rights lawyer Shirin Ebadi, former director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei, director of the Moral Courage Project at New York University Irshad Manji, former Director of Central Intelligence R. James Woolsey and former U.N. ambassador Andrew Young.

The members of the afternoon panel, entitled “Global Consciousness” now include: human rights advocate Martin Luther King III, Ebadi, ElBaradei, U.N. Ambassador A.R. Rahman and Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi.