Common Ground for Peace

Complimentary tickets for panel discussions will be available Tuesday for students, Wednesday for general public

Complimentary tickets for the Common Ground for Peace Symposium will be available to students and the general public on a first-come, first-serve basis, Syracuse University announced Monday.

The university will make 300 complimentary tickets available for each Oct. 8 panel discussion. The tickets must be picked up in person at the Schine Student Box Office Sept. 25 and 26, according to a Sept. 24 SU News release.

On Tuesday, Sept. 25, from 5-7 p.m., students may pick up one ticket upon showing their SUID card. On Wednesday, Sept. 26, the general public may begin picking up tickets at 9 a.m. Nonstudents may purchase up to two tickets, according to the release.

Each ticket will come with a handout that will explain security and entrance procedures for the event. The tickets are not transferrable and are only good for the panel listed on the ticket, according to the release.

The complimentary tickets are the only tickets to the event. Tickets will not be made available for purchase.

Ticket priority was given to professors who want to bring their classes to the panels. Ticket information was not made available until now because it was necessary to figure out how many tickets were left over before announcing details, said Erin Kane, associate vice president of public relations.

The morning panel will be from 9-11 a.m. The event is titled “The Arab Spring.” The afternoon panel, “Shifting the Global Consciousness,” will be from 1:30-3:30 p.m., according to the release.

Both panels will be moderated by NBC correspondent Ann Curry and feature His Holiness the Dalai Lama. They will be held in Goldstein Auditorium in the Schine Student Center, according to the release.

The panels will be broadcast in various locations on campus. Viewing locations include Crouse Hinds Hall, the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Newhouse III, Newhouse II, the Inn Complete on South Campus and Kimmel Dining Hall, according to the release.

• http://www.facebook.com/John.L.Marino John

The OneWorld event seems disorganized and the OneWorld organization has had gaps in communicating with students. How were students supposed to know that the tickets would begin to be distributed starting today? There was no mass email or other formal announcement except for this article in the DO published at 2AM the day of the tickets being released. The Oneworld’s own website [http://oneworld.syr.edu/index.html] does not even have this information. Student tickets to the Oneworld concert were also (arguably) haphazardly distributed, although at least there was marginally better communication.

Notwithstanding the ticket issue, this discussion will be held in the Goldstein Auditorium, which, in my opinion, does not have the seating capacity for an event of this magnitude.

I think many people, including myself, will be disappointed to not have an opportunity to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime event, all because of some unfortunately gaffes by planners.

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »