Unsung Heroes 2022

17 local football players awarded as ‘Unsung Hero’ for service, volunteering

Courtesy of Isaiah Goodrich

While Goodrich was proud of his teammates for what they’ve done in the community so far, he made it clear that the Athletes for Community Engagement program is not done serving those around them and setting a clear message for others.

The Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central’s high school varsity football team started their season with a string of losses but eventually became the first team in the school’s history to win a playoff game.

After losing their final playoff game in the 2021 season right before the championship, though, the players were in doubt about what to do next. The loss meant the students’ time as a team could be over.

Isaiah Goodrich disagreed. A high school junior who plays multiple positions on the team, Goodrich thought the team should turn to service.

Goodrich, a co-captain on the team, has been attending Abundant Life Christian Center, a church in Cicero since he was 5 years old. After the loss, he brought his team together to volunteer at the church’s Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaway — the beginning of a journey of service for the young men.

The group of 17 varsity football players received one of Syracuse University’s 2022 Unsung Hero awards, which honor community members who make positive impacts on the lives of others but are not widely recognized for their contributions.

“We basically just wanted to go in the community and help the people who came to our games and supported us on the sidelines,” Goodrich said. “I thought this would be a way to bring us all back together — doing something positive that’ll put a smile on people’s faces while also having a good time with each other.”

Courtesy of Isaiah Goodrich

Goodrich brought his team together to volunteer at the church’s Thanksgiving Turkey Giveaway — the beginning of a journey of service for the young men. Courtesy of Isaiah Goodrich

Some of Goodrich’s teammates had done service before. But the organization and teamwork involved in the Thanksgiving drive, where they helped distribute over 400 meals, seemed larger than anything they’d done before, said Tyshawn Taylor, a wide receiver on the team.

“It just sets the tone for the real person you are,” Taylor said. “Not only do you care about the sport of football, but you care about the stuff outside of football.”

The group wasn’t finished after the Thanksgiving drive. Many of the students worked at a bike giveaway in December. Goodrich and some of his teammates then created the Athletes for Community Engagement program, which focuses on highlighting other young athletes in the city.

Goodrich thought it was necessary to inspire and raise up even younger members of his community.

“It’s a way of leaving something positive for the younger generation,” he said. “We are kind of young, but kids younger than us see what we’re doing.”

ACE’s first program, Kicks for Kings, sought to raise money for middle schoolers to buy new sneakers and other athletic items.

In just one week, Kicks for Kings raised over $1,000.

Nat Teska-Prince, an offensive and defensive lineman for the team, thought it was important for the students to be role models for the children for whom they raised the money.

“When you do something good for the community as a student athlete, people that are a little bit younger than you, like in middle school … they might want to do the same thing you’re doing because they see you’re being recognized for what you’re doing,” Teska-Prince said.

Cedric Stevens, the team’s head coach, wasn’t surprised when Goodrich and the others first went to the Thanksgiving drive. He was proud of the students for taking the initiative to start serving without being prompted — a style of leadership he said was commonplace within his team.

“You’re a direct reflection of your community,” Stevens said. “This is what our church’s community is — kids giving back like that.”

While Goodrich was proud of his teammates for what they’ve done in the community so far, he made it clear that ACE is not done serving those around them and setting a clear message for others.

“We’re not just athletes, or student athletes. We’re stewards of our community.” Goodrich said. “I wanted to destroy the image that we’re not more than what we seem. We’re actually loving, kind young men who are more than strong people on the field.”