Community members recognized with 37th annual ‘Unsung Hero’ awards

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

The awards were given to 24 individuals from the SU community to recognize their service.

Syracuse University’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee announced the recipients of its 37th annual Unsung Hero Award on Thursday.

The award is given to members of the community that make positive impacts on the lives of others that have not received significant recognition for their actions. This year, 24 individuals received the award, ranging from a local high school football team to SU students, faculty and staff.

Nathena Murray, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, received the award for her involvement in the Juvenile Urban Multicultural Program, an organization that works to decrease high school dropout rate and increase college enrollment rates. The award also recognizes her role in the WellsLink Leadership Program and as a 2021-22 Remembrance Scholar representing Kesha Weedon.

Peipei Liu, a junior in the Newhouse School of Public Communications, was recognized for her work at WeMedia Lab, a Chinese media team promoting multicultural communication and connecting international students with the university.

She also worked with resident advisers to combat racist incidents with the #SUnite campaign when she lived in Day Hall during her freshman year. Her award-winning screenplay in the same year, “Sun-Kissed Orange,” continued her advocacy for inclusion and diversity.

David Knapp, an assistant professor in the Setnor School of Music and School of Education; and Joanna Spitzner, an assistant professor in the School of Art, have given their time to the Studying an Environment that Nurtures Self Exploration in Students Project, which works to teach sound recording to students of marginalized communities.

Vince Cobb, a media technology consultant and engineer at Newhouse, manages “the Cage,” researches new technologies that keep students up to date with industry standards and serves on SU’s Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility Committee.

He also created the Inner-City Media and News Team, a project that paired Newhouse students of color with middle and high school students to work on scripts, production, news reporting and editing workshops at his church.

Members of the varsity football team at the Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central were also named Unsung Heroes. The 17 members of the team distributed more than 400 Thanksgiving meals, volunteered at the Annual Bike Giveaway Setup in December and began the “Athletes for Community Engagement” program, which seeks to celebrate young athletes and their academic accomplishments in Syracuse and promote community engagement.

Ocesa Keaton, who received her master’s degree in social work, community organization, planning and administration from SU in 2015, leads anti-poverty efforts as a part of H.O.P.E. She also worked with CenterState CEO and the city of Syracuse to establish “Syracuse Build: Pathways to Apprenticeship,” a paid training program for people of marginalized communities, women and veterans.

Beverly Oliver founded the After School and Early Learning Program at C. Grant Grimshaw Elementary School, providing accessible programming to the children and families of the Onondaga Nation and LaFayette as part of her 35 years spent creating high-quality early child care and afterschool programming in Onondaga County.