Syracuse men’s lacrosse falls to No. 6 in Week 2 Inside Lacrosse Poll

Aidan Groeling | Staff Photographer

After a 13-12 overtime loss to then-No. 4 Maryland Saturday, Syracuse fell one spot in the Week 2 Inside lacrosse poll to No. 6.

Syracuse men’s lacrosse (3-1, 0-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) has been ranked No. 6 in the Week 2 Inside Lacrosse poll released Monday. After sitting at No. 5 in the first week of the rankings, Syracuse fell to then-No. 4 Maryland in a controversial 13-12 overtime loss, causing the Orange to fall one spot.

SU’s first three games went as planned as the Orange outscored its first three opponents (Vermont, Colgate and Manhattan) 54-20 and went relatively unchallenged. But against Maryland — a team which Syracuse hasn’t beaten since 2009 — that changed. A tight back-and-forth affair culminated in Syracuse’s first loss of the season.

The Orange led 11-9 in the fourth quarter, but three straight goals from Maryland put them ahead with four minutes left. A Christian Mulé goal sent the game to overtime.

In overtime, Michael Leo cut inside and dove for a finish, putting the ball in the back of the net for what looked like the game-winning goal in overtime. But Leo landed in the goal mouth without being pushed and the officials disallowed the score. Maryland came down the field and George Stamos netted the winner on the other end.

“There’s already lots of conversations about it,” Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said of video review postgame. “I’m sure it will be addressed next summer when the rules committee gets back together again.”