Women's Rowing

Syracuse adds Madison Keaty as associate head coach, director of recruiting

Meghan Hendricks | Senior Staff Photographer

Madison Keaty coached at four collegiate programs prior to Syracuse and helped Alabama to the NCAA Championship in 2021.

Syracuse women’s rowing announced the hiring of Madison Keaty as an associate head coach and director of recruiting on Sunday. Keaty spent the last three seasons coaching the women’s lightweight rowing team at Stanford, where she was named the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association Lightweight Rowing Coach of the Year in 2022.

A former collegiate rower herself, Keaty attended Gonzaga, where she won the 2013 West Coast Conference Rower of the Year and led the Varsity 8 to its first NCAA Championship appearance in program history. 

Keaty started her coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ithaca College in 2014. She was then hired as an assistant coach and co-recruiting coordinator at Gonzaga, where she stayed until 2018. After Gonzaga, she served as an assistant coach and in-state coordinator from 2018-2021 at Alabama.

In her final year, the Crimson Tide went to the NCAA Championship for the first time in program history. She departed for Stanford following the 2021 season.

“We are very excited to have Madison bring her experience to Syracuse having taken multiple teams to the NCAA Championships,” Syracuse head coach Luke McGee said in the release. “She has exceptional communication skills and is a great technical coach with a clear idea about how she wants her crews to row and race.”