Ducks

Duck: Brittany Miller

Asst. News Editor | Fall 2022; Asst. Copy Editor | Spring 2023

Illustration by Remi Jose

I remember seeing an Instagram story saying The Daily Orange was looking for an assistant news editor one day in the middle of a semester and just applied. Little did they know I had never covered hard news in my entire life and interned for maybe one of the most laughed at tabloids in New York City. Somehow I was hired anyway.

So if anyone is ever worried about their lack of experience whether that be in journalism or anything else: stop! Especially for The D.O. we have so many people on staff that aren’t even writing majors and what you get out of it is completely worth it.

Would I recommend joining The D.O. as a senior though? Probably not because now I have a whole new group of people to say goodbye to after only two semesters.

Kyle: I have no idea what convinced you to first hire me, but I’m glad you did. You were always the first person to tell me my suggestions mattered and always made me feel included as an outsider. I’m so excited to see everything you do, but please don’t forget to relax too!

Jana: You did my first ever B-read and basically exposed me for not knowing anything about politics, but I learned so much in that first round of edits. You’ve done a great job as News Editor and made my job as copy editor so much easier. Hopefully you get to change that style guide soon.

Stephanie: Whenever Kyle wasn’t around, you were always there to answer any D.O. related questions I have despite being new to the position yourself. I’ve watched you become consistently more confident in your abilities and I couldn’t be more proud! No one is more prepared to lead the section than you!

Kendall: You were always a ray of sunshine in the newsroom no matter what was going on. You always found something to laugh about or find an optimistic spin for. I still don’t like the word slay, but I know that every time I attempt to use it I’ll think of you. I couldn’t ask for anyone better to take over my position along with Claire.

Dom: It went completely full-circle for us. One of your articles was my first B-read and you did more B-reads on my articles this semester than anyone else did. Thank you for somehow making sense of the gibberish I probably turned in to you. I will miss seeing you carrying around a box of cereal and always making sure to call me bestie before you start editing. You are the most committed journalist I have ever seen and I know it will take you far. But please sleep!

Claire: Not only were you my band buddy, but of course you followed me to The D.O. too! I am so proud of everything you’ve accomplished this semester. You adjusted super well to coming in-house in the middle of the semester and never let that stop you. I wish you nothing but the best and welcome to the copy editor team!
Meghan: Without you, I never would’ve taken the leap to applying in-house in the first place. Thank you for helping me handle marching band and this paper at the same time because it was not easy in the slightest. You are so caring and passionate about every little thing you do and I’ll miss being able to pop into visuals to see how you’re doing.

Mom: Thank you for trusting my crazy decision to fact check articles up until 1 a.m. and be up in time for class the next day. I wouldn’t be anywhere without your support and I owe this and my degree entirely to you.

Tara: Even if you had no idea what I was talking about, you were always there to listen to whatever story I was struggling to find sources for or to tell me that I will get through any challenge. I will especially miss all the memes and TikToks you would send me late during production to keep my spirits. You are the best sister I could ask for.

Ian: I will never know how or why you put up with me. I’ve apparently talked about this place so much you now know The D.O.’s entire editing process. I can’t explain how much I appreciate everything you’ve done whether that be searching through Syracuse professor lists to find sources or making sure you’ve read even the tiniest article I’ve written. Most importantly, you listened, which is all I can ever ask for. Thank you.