Ducks

Duck: Morgan Sample

Design Editor | Fall 2021, Spring 2022 ; Presentation Director | Fall 2022

Abe Frankel | Contributing Illustrator

While I am so excited that I have been transformed into a duck in drawing form, leaving The Daily Orange is going to be a tough goodbye. I will miss The D.O. and the friends I have made along the way as much as I miss the drop caps during 2nd design meeting. Thank you all for making this experience so enjoyable, even in the earliest hours of the morning!

Megan <3

Hey girl. WE MADE IT! It’s so crazy to think about how far we’ve come, from applying as baby freshman to completing our first print night sophomore year to slaying Basketball Guide this year. Grad Guide may have tested us, but being with you made every 3am night so worth it. You are one of the most dedicated and passionate people I have ever met. I am so thankful that I had my best friend by my side through it all.

Your work has been SO AWESOME all semester. I love checking in every night and seeing what you come up with. Even during the busiest weeks with little sleep, you come up with concepts and designs that are next level. Your drive pushes me every day to keep going and improving my own work, and I can’t thank you enough for that. I can’t exactly say I will miss you because we live together, but I will miss doing this crazy job with you a lot. See you in London girl (also at our apartment, but still). I LOVE YOU

Santiago

You have been absolutely killing it since the beginning. I couldn’t be more excited about you becoming Presentation Director! I will miss the 10 songs you play in the visuals room, especially drill Charlie Brown, your love for a sans-serif and your dedication most of all. You challenge me to always be the best designer I can be, and I thank you immensely for that. Keep the traditions alive, and don’t forget those widows and drop caps. I cannot wait to see what you create as PD. Remember, the guacabilities are endless.

Shannon Kirkpatrick

My trusty PD – your dedication and constant kindness even in the early hours of the morning during production kept me going last year. You are such a talented designer, but above all an incredible mentor. Thank you for passing down all of your InDesign hacks, those colorful pens and the magic of tracking when stories aren’t fitting. I truly learned from the best. Your presence is missed every day in the visuals room!

Richard Perrins

Thank you so much for always believing and putting your trust in me. You put so much effort into involving visuals in everything and I cannot thank you enough for that. Thank you for being an incredible mentor and friend, and good luck next semester.

Maggie

Your dedication to visuals has also been so amazing this semester. You are so kind and supportive and I will miss laughing with you so much next semester!

Siron

Thank you for always letting me onto the Instagram account when I need to post. You bring so much positive energy to The D.O. house and I will miss you a lot next semester.

The designers <3

Hey designers. Y’ALL ARE INCREDIBLE! I could not have asked for a more creative and talented bunch to work with this fall. I am constantly blown away by the work you all do and am so lucky to have had you on my team. Each night, you all strived to make innovative print and digital work and tried out solutions that we have never done before. I may be biased, but comm designers are the best. Sophomores – slay those magazines and point of purchase displays. Emma – keep killing it in 450. I love you all and can’t wait to hopefully have class together next year!

Stephanie

Your graphics and pages have impressed me since the beginning! I admire how confident you are in yourself and your work. You always push for your designs, which makes me so happy to see. I am super excited that you got digital design director, I know that you will do such an amazing job. See you at the factory!

Emma Kelly

I’m so happy Megan and I converted you to D.O. life this year. I am impressed every single day by your dedication to work even after a long day of comm design. You are a print god (literally how were your first pages perfect?). Your funny comments throughout the night keep me sane and I will miss getting silly slack messages from you very much. 

Jacques

You are one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met and I am so glad we got to work together this fall. I will miss your nightly memes and positive energy a lot. I know you will do so well as a digital designer next semester and I can’t wait to see what you accomplish!

Eva

From the day I first met you during your interview, you amazed me with your skills and overall confidence in yourself and what you do. I will miss the humor you add to the room, the constant outfit inspiration, and your dedication and passion most of all!  

Meghan

My lovely photo editor. You are crazy talented but most of all so dedicated to The Daily Orange. I admire how much energy you give to visuals and everything you do. Thank you for the endless supply of snacks and for cutting out football and basketball players for our silly guides. Food spreads for life!

Remi

Having you join our team this semester was such a blessing. Your illustration style and your concepts amaze me every time and elevate the writing and storytelling to another level. I can’t wait to see what you make in the future!

Kyle

Please become a design editor next semester! I will be checking in from London to see your designs on Instagram. But seriously, thank you for always prioritizing visuals and helping out with design. You are amazing at what you do. I will miss having you as my cross country Westchester friend at the house.

Anish

Unfortunately, my photoshop of you on the basketball player never made it into Basketball Guide. I am happy it lives on slack though. It has been so awesome working with you this year and I will miss you a lot!

Hank

You’re the best! Thank you for emerging out of the sports room to chill with visuals (the best section) and for all of your positive energy. You have been an amazing friend and I can’t wait to see what you do as DME – I know you will kill it!

Rainu

I loved working with you and spending time with you this semester, but what I will miss most of all about our friendship is receiving wrong number texts and calls from you. See you in London!

Rachel

Culture queen! You have done such an incredible job this semester and I loved spending time with you. I’m so proud of you for getting ME – you will so SUCH A GOOD JOB!

Maya

WE MISS YOU, come back! Do not worry though – your squish mallows have received lots of love while you have been abroad. You are an amazing mentor and friend and I’m so glad we got to spend last year together. Thank you for everything!

Danny

Alpha Danny! I miss our nights designing together so much and hope you are loving studying abroad. I am still in love with the heart illustration you did last year. I hope you are having so much fun in Copenhagen and I cannot wait for you to return!

Anthony Alandt

Thank you for always hyping up visuals – we love you for that. But most of all, thank you for slacking us beautiful photos of Ohio. I hope you enjoy your Secret Santa gifts and tasks. Yay Cleveland!

Emily and Mandy

Thank you for all of your love and support during my sophomore year. I am still convinced you both lived at the D.O. house last year. Your dedication to the D.O. is so impressive and inspiring, and I’m so glad I got to have you guys as mentors!

Mom and Mike (and Norman and Charles)

I love you all! I’m sorry that I am always “doing work for The Daily Orange.” Mom – thank you for always liking the D.O. Visuals twitter posts. Mike – thanks for following the D.O. Instagram when we were trying to get to 10k, you’re a real one. Norman and Charles – thanks for being the best dogs ever and for being by my side during at home production nights. Your cuteness is much appreciated.