Ducks

Duck: Julia Kahen

Asst. Editorial Editor | Spring-Fall 2022

Harlow Arcaro | Contributing Illustrator

Working at The Daily Orange for the past year had an important impact on the journalist I am today. Much more valuable than that though, the D.O. gifted me with two of my dearest friends and surrounded me with people that inspire me everyday. Here are some people that I am so lucky to have had by my side this past year:

Rainu: Where do I begin? It is so hard to believe that we only met one year ago because it genuinely feels like I have known you for years. It is so incredibly difficult to find a friend in college who feels like a piece of home, but you feel like that to me. Maybe it is our love for Gilmore Girls and anything Mindy Kaling has produced, our unwavering dedication to iced lattes even when it is blizzarding, our affection for reading the print paper of The New York Times, the connection we both have with our adorable mothers, our Middle Eastern identity struggle at cuse or the fact that Taylor Swift’s All Too Well (Ten Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) was both of our most played songs this year. We grew up on opposite sides of the world, yet our souls are still so similar. What a privilege it has been to not only be your friend, but also be working under your leadership this semester! You have truly transformed the Opinion section. You have worked relentlessly to give people a platform and a voice that wouldn’t have otherwise had one. Even through having to literally translate Latin everyday and being an editor at Renegade, you still showed up at The D.O. with an impressive budget every single day. Rainu, I admire you and I love you. I know when we’re 40 we will be sitting on one of our front porches with Micaela, still playing Taylor Swift and giggling like we’re forever nineteen. 

Micaela: Your grace and composure inspires me every single day, Micaela. You had one of the most challenging jobs as Editorial Editor, and yet I never once heard you complain. If anything, you were always the one calming me down when I inevitably got too overwhelmed. Without you, I know I wouldn’t have had the courage to realize that I wasn’t a failure for quitting what would only harm myself. You show me in small ways everyday that the love of friendship and family will always be much more valuable than any academic/work success. Here are just a few reasons why you’re actually the best ever: When you drove two hours from Poughkeepsie to New York City this summer to visit me because I quite literally had no friends in the city, when you took me to the airport at the end of freshman year, when you brought me flowers and a cake for my birthday, when you cooked me and Rainu pasta, that one time we drove to five different coffee shops to find one that was open, to name just a few. Everyone needs a Micaela in their life!

Emily & Mandy: You both taught me so much about what it means to be a leader! Your nightly trips down to the Op room to give us fruit snacks or speak with us about our pieces always made my night!

Siron, Richard & Maggie: You all have been working so so hard this semester, and that doesn’t go unnoticed! Your unwavering dedication to this paper has really made a difference. 

Anish: Thanks for giving me fit checks every day! 

Rachel: I know we never became that close, but I really wish we did because you are actually the sweetest person ever. I know you’re gonna kill it as Managing Editor, I can’t wait to see all that you accomplish! 

Anthony: You are the big brother at the DO and have always given the best advice. Thank you for listening to me complain, and for cheering Rainu and I on when we were losing motivation this semester. Your slack messages always put a smile on our faces. 

Hamere, Jean and Stefanie: I am so excited for the next Op team! I am also so happy that Op is staying female. You guys each have unique, intelligent minds. I know you will come up with story ideas that are meaningful and important to share. I’m here if you ever need anything at all! 

Felicia Huang: You have been my best friend and biggest fan since we were 10, and I miss you more every day, if that’s possible. I simply cannot wait for this summer (and when we buy a one-way ticket to Europe and never return)!

Mom, Dad & Josh: My phone calls with one of you guys while I walked to and from The D.O. everyday for the past year were very appreciated. Mom and Dad, thank you for letting me come to Syracuse. I know moving across the country from you was not easy, but you have always cheered me on. You guys knew that I’ve wanted to be a journalist since I was in second grade, and even though you might’ve not always understood why, you never stood in the way of my dream. Even when I was so terrified to live in NYC this past summer for my internship at The Post, you encouraged me to go and make the most of the experience. I love you guys so much. Josh, thank you for reminding me to not take things too seriously and just enjoy college. I am so happy we had the summer in the city together. Hopefully I’m old enough now to not just be the annoying little sister, but a friend instead. I am so excited for when you move to the city after graduation! It’s going to be so fun living in the same state again and being able to visit each other.