Ducks

Duck: Grace Katz

Asst. copy editor | Spring 2022 ; Asst. digital editor | Fall 2022

Harlow Arcaro | Contributing Illustrator

I don’t know how to start this without first stating one thing: I never planned on becoming a journalist. I still wouldn’t consider myself one, even after a whole year of working at this paper.

But by some chance, The Daily Orange became my home at Syracuse University. Something compelled me to apply for a job here despite my lack of journalistic experience and conflicting career plans. And I won’t lie. At first, I had trouble adjusting to the great DO machine. Now though? I’m so happy I came back for another semester. I gained true friends. A community.

I thank you all for the love you’ve given me, and I hope you’ve felt the love I gave you – that I will continue to impart even as I leave. I wish everyone at this newspaper, coming in or out or staying put, the absolute best. Work hard and take risks. I took one by coming here.

Kyle: I will never be able to fully express how much I appreciate the support you’ve given me when I was struggling and all the times you’ve tolerated my yammering. I know it wasn’t easy, I’m quite the character, but you handled me and this kooky newsroom with such grace and competence, I’m still blown away. You’ll be an amazing journalist, you’re so passionate and I can’t wait to read your stories. Even when they’re about boring things. I will continue to spam you with F1 memes and keep you up to date with all the gossip. 

Richard: My first news editor at the DO and now the current total boss! Or king, I should say, because you’re British. You’ve always seemed so in control, even when there were struggles, and you’ve done amazing as EIC. But you don’t need to hear me tell you that. Since the US has now officially lost the World Cup, I hope for your sake that England takes it. But don’t let anyone know I said that, though, because on the record I still don’t believe the UK exists. 

Siron: Siron, the sense of community you brought to digital honestly reinvigorated my love for this newspaper. I found my niche in dig, and it was completely thanks to your awesome leadership. I couldn’t have survived the semester without you and the stupid dig chants. Or when you allowed me to completely veer off topic every dig meeting. I’m happy that you now can get your well deserved rest and hope to keep running into you randomly on South.  

Stephanie: Oh my god, my queen. Workout buddy. Fellow Shaw dining hall enthusiast. I’m so happy you came to the DO this semester and I’m so proud of all that you’ve achieved in such a short time. I never had a single doubt you could do it. You rolled with the punches and really made it all look effortless, even if I know it must have been hard. I’d wait a million more hours for you to file while hungry if it meant we could keep grabbing dinner together and having our kikis. 

Jana: The first person I connected with at the DO, the white spy to my black one (Spy vs. Spy reference – you’re welcome Kyle) and fellow Beis enthusiast. I know you’ll slay being News Editor, especially since I know you hate hearing people say you’ll do a good job. I’m sorry for all the BS you’ve had to endure and am so happy to see you come out on the other side stronger than ever. I’ll never forget our gossip sessions and community bathroom breaks.

Emily: My first EIC! Emily, I always loved talking to you at parties and learning about your coin collection. We’re so similar and I enjoyed working under you last semester immensely. You’ve already succeeded outside the DO, but I can’t wait to see what you do after you graduate. I’ll try to hear you calling for me in Whitman next time! 

Alice: My dig sister and Secret Santa! I’m sorry for not giving you tasks, but I hope you enjoyed my gifts. I loved the times we got to hang out even though we work different days. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do! 

Rachel: I forgot you for a second in my Secret Santa task but I won’t now! Rachel, I deeply appreciate the support you gave me and the entire newsroom this semester. Especially when times were tough. You really didn’t have to, but you did and I’ll never forget that. I wish we got to know each other better over the semester, but I’ll leave it at this: you’ll be an amazing Managing Editor. Also, if Kyle gives you trouble, let me know and I’ll make sure to take him down a peg. He needs it sometimes. 

Brittany: Debated taking this off because you roasted me so hard, but who cares! You really stepped up to the plate and it was a pleasure seeing you develop in news, especially since I know that isn’t usually your niche. Enjoy the smaller workload next semester and I wish you all the best once you graduate! 

Katie: My successor, I’m so happy you’ve been able to come back to The DO – I’m just sad we’re missing each other. You’ve always been so passionate about this paper, and I know it must have been hard leaving, but now you can take over my role and kill it like you always do. Dig is the absolute best, and I’m sure you’ll love it! 

Luisana: The copy editor with the coolest haircut, I’ve loved seeing you take over my old job this semester. You were meticulous in your edits toward my graphics and I greatly appreciate it. I hope to still see you around rocking those thrifted jeans I wish I owned! 

Again, thank you to everyone at this newspaper for the experience you’ve given me, I love you. Make sure to work hard – but don’t forget to play hard!