8 Syracuse players earn All-ACC honors following 1st winning season since 2018

Arthur Maiorella | Staff Photographer

Sean Tucker received Second Team honors for being a running back and Third Team honors for All-Purpose.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Following its first winning season since 2018, eight Syracuse players earned All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors. Three offensive players — Oronde Gadsden II, Sean Tucker, Matthew Bergeron — and five defensive players — Mikel Jones, Marlowe Wax, Garrett Williams, Ja’Had Carter, Duce Chestnut — were named All-ACC honorees which were announced on Tuesday afternoon.

Gadsden led the group as the only player named to the All-ACC First Team at tight end. In his second year with the Orange, the sophomore led the team in receiving with 54 receptions and 891 receiving yards. Gadsden finished the 2022 season with the nation’s most receiving yards and touchdowns by a tight end, and recorded the sixth-most receiving yards in the ACC.

Tucker was the only player named to multiple teams earning second team running back and third team all-purpose honors. It was his second-consecutive year earning All-ACC honors after being named to the first team in 2021. After setting the single-season rushing record last season, Tucker once again surpassed the 1,000 rushing yard mark recording 1,060 yards on the ground along with 11 touchdowns. Tucker also caught for 254 yards and two touchdowns on 36 receptions.

Bergeron, a projected second-round NFL Draft pick, earned the ACC’s third and fourth-highest grade in terms of tackles and offensive lineman, respectively, in his fourth season at Syracuse. Bergeron also accepted an invitation to the 2023 Senior Bowl in February, which features the top NFL Draft eligible prospects. The Victoriaville, Quebec native played 674 offensive line snaps this season, allowing just four sacks.

Jones earned his third All-ACC selection after being named a third team honoree. He recorded 84 tackles, seven of them for loss, along with four sacks and one forced and recovered fumble. Jones is one of the ACC’s three semifinalists for the Butkus Award, which is presented to the nation’s top linebacker.

Williams, Wax, Chestnut and Carter each earned honorable mention honors from the ACC. Wax emerged as SU’s leading tackler this season with 89, along with 4.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss. Williams played in just seven games this season before suffering a season-ending injury against Notre Dame. Another projected NFL draftee, Williams finished the season with 25 solo tackles, two interceptions and three pass breakups.

In his second season, Chestnut finished the season with 40 total tackles and a 28-yard pick six against Wagner. Carter finished the season as Syracuse’s leader in interceptions with three, which came in three-straight games against Clemson, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh. He also recorded a fumble recovery against Clemson — where he also scored — and recorded 36 total tackles on the season.