Volleyball

With family in Ukraine, Lokhmanchuk finds escape through volleyball

Maxine Brackbill | Asst. Photo Editor

After Russia's invasion of Ukraine threatened her hometown of Zaporizhia, outside hitter Viktoriiya Lokhmanchuk uses volleyball to escape from the mental toll it has caused.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Viktoriia Lokhmanchuk wakes up each morning worrying about her family’s safety. She hopes that they made it through the night. Air raids often bombard Lokhmanchuk’s hometown of Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine. Sirens blare throughout the town, warning people of possible danger. 

In the past few weeks, there have been strikes and attacks just blocks away from her home. Windows from her house shattered and a huge crack formed in the middle of her living room wall.

Ever since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, the city in the southeastern region of the country has been under a brutal assault. In the past weekend alone, 11 civilians died in kamikaze drone and missile attacks.

Despite the damage, Lokhmanchuk said “it’s not as bad as what other people are going through,” with many families having their homes completely destroyed. Lokhmanchuk’s mom, dad and brother survived, but the raid took its emotional toll. An outside hitter for Syracuse, Lokhmanchuk uses volleyball to escape from the mental toll of the conflict. She has also used her status as an athlete to raise awareness about the war.

Last winter, it still wasn’t clear if an invasion would happen as Russia built up forces on Ukraine’s borders. But on Feb. 24, Russia began their assault. Lokhmanchuk was in Syracuse at the time and immediately called her parents, who confirmed that the attacks had started.

“I had a panic attack and cried for a few hours straight after hearing the news,” Lokhmanchuk said. 

Lokhmanchuk went back to Ukraine in May. She couldn’t visit her hometown, instead staying in the Western region where it’s safer and further away from the front lines. She doesn’t recall hearing any bombs go off in the distance, but the sirens remained on as she tried to fall asleep each night. 

Lokhmanchuk was depressed during this time, feeling helpless as her family faced hardships. 

Despite the conflict, Lokhmanchuk tried to take her mind off of things and distract herself. Once Lokhmanchuk steps onto the volleyball court, she shows no signs of being affected by what her family is going through.  

“I admire her for that because I don’t know if I would be able to manage sports and academics at the same time while keeping my social life afloat,” Ukrainian Club Vice President Ali Dimova said. “I don’t know if I would be able to distract myself from everything that’s going on.”

Still, Lohkmanchuk has also used the sport to honor her country. On Sept. 21, the team held a “Support Ukraine Night.” Each player tied blue and yellow ribbons in their hair. Lokhmanchuk came off the bench draped in the Ukrainian flag when her name was announced in the starting lineup. 

At the game, Ukrainian Club President Taris Colopelnic displayed posters informing people of the impact the war has had on educational and sporting facilities. Nealy 3,000 facilities have been damaged or destroyed since the start of the conflict.

“Obviously, what’s going on is very serious, but it was still nice to see that kind of support,” Colopelnic said. “There’s no one who hasn’t heard of the country and what’s going on, so just being able to be that visible reminder to people that the war is still going on and that we still need their support was good.”

With the fifth set tied at 15-15, Lokhmanchuk bounced the ball patiently as she prepared to serve. Her serve dipped sharply once it got to the BC side, causing a miscommunication between the players. The ball fell to the ground, eventually leading to a 19-17 win and capping off an emotional night. 

“It’s important to realize that no matter what, we’re all human,” Colopelnic said. “There’s no need to cover up those emotions and let them come through.”