Crime

Man struck, killed on motorized bike outside Shaw Hall

Danny Amron | Asst. News Editor

In the Syracuse Police Department’s statement, Lt. Matthew Malinowski said the man was pronounced dead at Upstate Hospital following the collision.

A 27-year-old man died Tuesday night after being hit by a vehicle while riding a motorized bicycle near the corner of Euclid and Ostrom Avenues.

The incident occurred outside of Shaw Hall around 5:02 p.m., according to a statement from Syracuse Police Department spokesperson Lt. Matthew Malinowski. The man was pronounced dead at Upstate Hospital, Malinowski said in a statement from SPD.

The vehicle that hit the man was being chased by another vehicle, Syracuse.com reported. The driver of the second vehicle told 911 he began chasing the first vehicle after he saw it firing a paintball gun at homes and cars, according to Syracuse.com.

Syracuse University Professor Aileen Gallagher witnessed the collision and told syracuse.com that after hearing a loud bang, she saw the man fly off the bike while the vehicle that struck him continued past her vehicle. Gallagher added that the vehicle that struck the man stopped about half a block up the road, and a passenger fled.

Malinowski said that the driver of the vehicle remained on the scene, but said he could not confirm if the driver was taken into custody or any information about the firing of the paintballs.

This post will be updated with additional reporting.