Ducks

Duck: Madeleine Kramer

Assistant Video Editor | Spring 2021; Video Editor | Fall 2021 - Spring 2022

Yiwei He | Illustration Editor

As my time at Syracuse University comes to an end, I am sitting here trying to reflect on the growth that occurred just in the last few years alone. The Daily Orange has had a huge impact on my growth both as an individual, as well as a professional. As co-head Video Editor, I was put in a position I had never quite experienced before, leadership in a publication. Not just any publication, but one that is incredibly well-respected and important to Syracuse University. Maya and I had a goal of expanding the video section beyond the small part of the paper it was. We wanted to take the next step in integrating videos with articles written by other sections of the paper. We also were lucky enough to help the publication raise over $16k for Giving Tuesday by doing a video, which has not been done in the past. I’m so proud of the changes we made to the video section and am so thankful for all that it has taught me since joining as Assistant Video Editor back in 2020.

Maya: To my co-head video editor, I cannot thank you enough. Not only are you an incredible leader and the best co-head ever, but you are now an amazing friend. I’m so lucky to have been able to work with you on such a difficult task of changing the video section. You are one of the most hard-working, determined, ambitious people I have ever met, and I have so much respect for that. You’re a force to be reckoned with and I know that you are going to achieve such incredible things. Thank you so much for always stepping up, no matter what the scenario may be. Thank you for being so understanding, and basically taking over these past few months as I worked on my senior capstone project. I thank the Daily Orange every single day, as I was lucky enough to work with someone who not only makes it fun, but also teaches me so much. You are truly inspiring, and I can’t wait for the world to see more of what you can do!

Idan and Tyler: You have been enthusiastic about the Daily Orange since the start, and it truly shows. Idan, I’m so happy I got to witness you transition from Contributing Videographer to full time staff as Assistant Video Editor. Tyler, I’m so grateful you helped me out with my senior capstone project as well. It truly shows that the Daily Orange is full of so much talent.

Thank you so much to everyone else on the staff for being so kind and fun to work with. I’d also love to thank my friends, family and career mentors who have believed in my journey to working in post-production. I will always be thankful for my time as Video Editor at the Daily Orange.