Columns

SU needs to restructure writing classes to better foster and create writers

Francis Tang | Assistant News Editor

SU's writing classes should be restructured to focus more on providing feedback and explaining where student's writing can improve.

In high school, I started off as a novice writer. After taking writing classes each year and receiving feedback, my writing slowly became better, so when I signed up for writing classes at SU, I was excited to get some more practice and become even better. Many students go into the writing classes here genuinely wanting to learn how to write, and they, rightfully so, think that these classes will make them better writers. However, that is certainly not the case.

SU describes WRT 105 as a class that teaches “writing processes, including critical reading, collaboration, revision, editing, and the use of technologies. Focuses on the aims, strategies, and conventions of academic prose, especially analysis and argumentation.”

This description gives the idea that after the class is over, students will be able to revise, edit and write better. However — at least after my personal experience with WRT 105 — that is not necessarily the case. While every writing class at SU is different because the professor has some creative freedom as to what they want to teach, I’ve found that, overall, the writing classes at SU do not improve writing.

For example, in my writing class last year, we had an assignment to find a picture on the internet and describe the deeper meaning behind the image. The deeper meaning did not have to be true, but we had to use our imagination to create the story for the person in the picture. While I did enjoy this activity, it did not improve my skills as a writer. It might have improved my skills for my imagination, though.

SU describes WRT 205 as a class that “focuses on the rhetorical strategies, practices, and conventions of critical academic researched writing.” Also, each WRT 205 class has one of the following concentrations: technology, arts, science, ethics and civic discourses or organizational cultures.

The section I’m taking is focused on writing and technology. While I do find the class interesting, in the weeks we’ve been here, I have not learned anything specific about becoming a better writer. We have had readings, class discussions about readings, time in class to write our essays, but no time to learn how to improve our writing. Now, there is definitely a possibility this could change as the semester goes on, however, given my experience with past writing classes, I doubt it.

Furthermore, each writing class has a very specific type of writing they focus on. While this might seem helpful, the type of writing is too specific. Becoming a better writer sometimes does mean being able to write in different styles.

Further, despite WRT 105 being a prerequisite for WRT 205, the writing classes do not build off of each other. WRT 105’s purpose is mainly based around telling stories with multiple perspectives and the importance of those perspectives, while WRT 205 is mainly about synthesizing sources and researching.

In the few writing-intensive classes I have been in at SU, they all have one thing in common: lack of feedback on the student’s writing. Now, I completely understand that professors are extremely busy and do not always have time to give detailed feedback, however, feedback is one of the best and easiest ways to become a better writer.

That’s the way the education system works in high school. Teachers leaving notes on our assignments or papers, and telling us how we can improve is a fast way to improve. I also understand that professors sometimes will not provide feedback but will offer you to come to their office hours to discuss the paper. Although this can be quite helpful, not all students have the time in their day to go to office hours. Many students have jobs, other classes, homework and extracurriculars to worry about.

Overall, SU needs a better understanding of how to create and teach better writers, and it starts with giving students feedback on their writing. SU should be giving their students the support to become better writers, which includes restructuring the entire structure of the class around providing feedback and explaining where to improve.

Melanie Wilder is a sophomore policy studies and information management double major. Her column appears biweekly. She can be reached at [email protected].