Black History Month 2022

SU kicks off celebration of Black History Month at Goldstein Auditorium

Max Mimaroglu | Asst. Photo Editor

Hudson spent a lot of time interacting with audience members during the show, even inviting some to perform on stage for prizes.

olympics-01

UPDATED: Feb. 2, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.

Syracuse University kicked off Black History Month with an opening celebration full of live performances, jokes and high-energy music on Feb. 1. The event was held in the Goldstein Auditorium and hosted by Emmanuel Hudson, an actor and comedian known for his recurring role on MTV’s “Wild ‘N Out.” Over the span of two hours, Hudson worked with the crowd to maintain high energy and enthusiasm for the variety of student performers who filled the show’s runtime.

Sophomore Meghan Ford-Titus initiated the night’s festivities with an acapella performance of “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” which led into a video presentation that finished the statement “Black is…” as a way of celebrating Black students and faculty members for Black History Month.

Hudson was invited onto the stage following the presentation, beginning his show with a prayer and acknowledgement of his gratitude to be present. He briefly engaged with the audience, entering the crowd and speaking directly to them before passing the microphone off to Cedric Bolton, the coordinator of student engagement at the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Bolton introduced Senator John Mannion via Zoom, who presented a confirmation of Black History Month and acknowledged the historical significance of the month’s celebration. Mannion also said that New York Gov. Kathy Hochul shared the sentiments he presented at the event.

“Today we pay tribute to uncountable kindhearted citizens, from the Revolutionary War through the abolitionist movement, along the Underground Railroad to marches from Selma to Montgomery, the civil rights movement, Black arts movement, Black Power movement, Black Lives Matter movement, and all across our country, who stood up and sat-in to help right the wrongs of the past and extend the promise of America to all of our people,” Mannion said.

Immediately after Mannion, a Fallen Angels tribute was projected onto the screen, acknowledging the Black lives lost over the past two years. This tribute was followed by SU senior Laurie Fernandez’s spoken word performance, which paid tribute to George Floyd and other Black people who were killed in the past decade and served as a celebration of Nu Rho Poetic Society, of which Fernandez is a member.

After a brief musical interlude, Hudson returned to the stage and invited members from the audience to show off a talent on stage for a chance to win giveaway items. Three students — sophomore Sofia Rodriguez, freshman Ryan Nkongnyu and freshman Jonah Powell — performed on stage through poetry, rap and an impromptu motivational speech, respectively.

After providing the participants with their promised prizes, the show transitioned to a style similar to a variety show, ushering in back-to-back vocal and dance performances, including a dance by Creations Dance Company.

“It was fun. You know, seeing a lot of the Black community come out just for Black History Month was very empowering and supporting,” said freshman Jaya Goodrich of Creations Dance Company. “Usually you don’t see that many people around, so it was just good seeing everyone.”

Students perform on stage at the 2022 BHM opening celebration

The Feb. 1 event is one of 22 SU-sponsored events meant to commemorate Black History Month this February. Max Mimaroglu | Asst. Photo Editor

Sophomore Shakira Santos, also known by her stage name Shakira, also performed at the celebration. Santos chose to sing Silk Sonic’s “Leave The Door Open” as a way to connect with the crowd.

“I love the energy of the room. And I, above all, I just really liked that I got to embrace my Black culture with the rest of the students on campus,” Santos said.

Malique and Meghan — a singing duo composed of Ford-Titus and fellow sophomore Malique Lewis — the Raíces Dance Troupe and others all had performed their respective acts during the show. Additionally, a segment of the celebration was dedicated to the National Pan-Hellenic Council, which invited six fraternities and sororities on stage to stroll.

Lael Pierce, SU’s Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Program Coordinator, was able to represent Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. during the NPHC’s strolling component of the show.

“Representing a sorority, it always feels wonderful, magnificent. I love representing my organization, and this was particularly special because it’s been over a decade since I’ve been on stage to perform anything,” Pierce said. “It definitely felt good to kind of dust my joints off and have some fun at the same time.”

At the end of the night, James Duah-Agyeman, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs, offered closing remarks to the crowd. He thanked the seven-member Black History Month planning committee and wished the audience well.

Alonzo Turner, a graduate assistant at the Office of Multicultural Affairs involved with the logistics of the opening event, expressed his gratitude at the outcome of the night.

“It was an amazing time, amazing event, and it’s a great way to kick off the Black History Month, especially with the communal buy-in that we were getting from (alumni), from the governor, from the senator and several other people who just really believe in what we’re doing here at Syracuse University, and how we’re continuing to center the most marginalized identities on our campus.”

CORRECTION: A previous version of this post misstated Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. as Zeta Phi Theta, Inc. The Daily Orange regrets this error.