Goldstein Faculty Center to house Office of Admissions following renovations

Emily Steinberger | Editor-in-chief

The 5,000-square-foot Faculty Commons, located on the fifth floor in Bird Library, will be completed in the summer but will be equipped with temporary furniture and equipment for the spring 2022 semester.

Syracuse University is making steps to renovate the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center, according to campus-wide communication from university administrators.

On Dec. 15, 2021, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Gretchen Ritter and Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala sent a campus-wide email about the upcoming changes. They said the university is taking two significant steps to foster a vibrant campus setting that is inclusive to all: transforming the center into an inviting space for campus community members and visitors while creating a new world-class faculty center.

SU has seen around 25,000 prospective students and families every year, they said. SU’s Office of Admissions will move into Goldstein and will utilize the space to welcome prospective students to the university.

Ritter and Sala later said a temporary faculty center will be on the fifth floor in Bird Library. The 5,000-square-foot Faculty Commons will be completed in the summer but will be equipped with temporary furniture and equipment for the spring 2022 semester.

The Division of Advancement and External Affairs, along with schools, colleges and other university units, will continue to utilize the building for major events, such as Orange Central, Family Weekend and commencement. The second floor of the building will be used as a venue all year round.

“The Faculty Commons is a new, permanent resource for faculty but it’s not a replacement for Goldstein,” said Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president of university communications, in an email to The Daily Orange. “The Task Force will advise on meeting the future needs of faculty, including dining and catering space.”

Pages Cafe, which closed in the fall 2021 semester, will now reopen to serve students, faculty and staff visiting the library from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., the email said.

Club 44, a reserved space in Carrier Dome, is now available for catered faculty lunches with six or more people. The space will soon be available to the faculty community. The university is finalizing the reservation process, menu and dining options.

Meanwhile, Rachel’s Restaurant at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center, along with Bistro 1926 at Drumlins Country Club, are available for SU faculty for daily dining. The Inn Complete is available for faculty-hosted events.

Sala and Ritter also said the university is planning to convene a task force consisting of faculty, staff and administrators to create a faculty center based on current and future needs for the university’s diversity faculty cohort.

Jamie Winders, the associate provost for faculty affairs, is developing a team of faculty across the campus to announce the composition of the task force by Feb. 7.