Common Council approves funding for mural to benefit artists impacted by COVID-19

Jaden Chen | Asst. Photo Editor

The council also approved up to $200,000 in funds from ARPA and entered an agreement with the Urban Jobs Task Force for the Interstate I-81 Construction Workforce Community Engagement and Planning Program.

The Syracuse Common Council approved up to $250,000 in funding for a city mural program on Monday afternoon.

The initiative, called the City as Canvas program, will target local artists financially impacted by the pandemic, according to the council meeting’s drafted agenda. City vendors will provide all the materials and equipment for the project.

The plan, brought to the meeting by Councilor Latoya Allen, will be funded with money given to the city by the American Rescue Plan Act.

The Syracuse Public Art Commission along with Tomorrow’s Neighborhood Today, a charity composed of members of each neighborhood sector in Syracuse, will administer the program, the drafted agenda read.

Mayor Ben Walsh released a statement following the meeting showing his support for the program. The initiative will provide support to local artists and help beautify city neighborhoods, the mayor said.

Property owners are able to offer a building wall for a mural on Tomorrow’s Neighborhood Today’s website. According to the website, each mural will also include an educational component.

Councilor Jennifer Schultz was the lone objector in the appropriation of the funds. Out of the 31 items passed Monday, it was the only “NO” vote cast.

Under the agreement, according to the drafted agenda, the UJTF will ensure workforce preparation processes include city residents. The organization will also facilitate community events relating to information regarding the project.

“Pandemic relief funding for the Urban Jobs Task Force will help maximize local hiring on the Interstate 81 project,” Walsh said in the statement. “Working together, we are advancing progress for Syracuse.”

The Common Council also approved a lease signed with the Syracuse Central School District for a portion of 701 South Warren St., just south of the Oncenter Complex. Walsh, in his statement, voiced his support for the STEAM school. The space will be developed into a science, technology, engineering, arts and math school, according to the drafted agenda.

Jen Tifft, the deputy commissioner at the department of neighborhood and business development in Syracuse, told The Daily Orange in February 2021 around 60% of admission slots will be reserved for Syracuse residents.

Other business

A special permit was approved by the Common Council to create a restaurant at 900-916 East Fayette St. The location is just north of Theory Syracuse.

The council also passed a resolution to appoint JahQuan Bey to the Citizen Review Board. According to a resume provided to the Common Council, Bey currently works as a Certified Personal Care Aide at the Resource Center for Independent Living.

The council also appropriated up to $2,030,000 in funds on behalf of the Department of Water to replace water valves and lead services on West Genesee Street from Salina to Myrtle Streets.