softball

Syracuse edges out UMass in 1-0 pitching duel

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Romero struck out 13 batters and allowed just five hits in a complete-game shutout.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter here

Syracuse and UMass went six innings without scoring a run on Friday. They had a combined six hits and 24 strikeouts. But in the top of the seventh, Gabby Teran rocketed a 1-0 pitch over the left field wall to break up the scoreless game.

The Orange’s season-opener against Georgia Tech was scheduled for this weekend, but expected inclement weather caused SU to cancel the series. On Thursday, they announced a Friday afternoon game against UMass. The game turned out to be a pitching duel, as Syracuse’s (11-9, 6-6 Atlantic Coast) one run was enough to beat UMass (2-7, 0-4 Atlantic 10) in Amherst, Massachusetts. It was the first time the teams played each other since February 2018.

Alexa Romero started for the eighth time on Friday in her team-high 14th appearance of the season. She pitched a complete game, striking out 13 UMass hitters. The fifth-year senior has 61 strikeouts this season and is just 30 away from 700 in her career with the Orange. She didn’t allow more than one hit each inning.

Syracuse didn’t have much offensive success, though, finishing with just two hits — both coming off Teran’s bat. UMass pitcher Jessie DiPasquale picked up the loss, but she fanned 11 Orange batters and only allowed one walk.

Prior to Teran’s home run, the second inning was the only time that Syracuse threatened UMass. A leadoff double by Teran was followed by a walk by Geana Torres. They executed a double steal, leaving outfielder Toni Martin in the box with two in scoring position. But she and Rebecca Clyde both struck out, and the threat was neutralized.

Romero and the SU defense didn’t allow a runner past second base until the fifth inning, when shortstop Bella Pantoja smacked a triple to right field. But Romero forced a groundout and a fly-out to the subsequent hitters, and the Minutewomen’s lone fifth-inning hit was ultimately harmless. Pantoja was the only UMass player to make it 60 feet away from home.

UMass retired Syracuse batters in order in five out of the seven innings, including a perfect stretch of 12-up-12-down from the third to the sixth inning. But Teran’s one hit lifted the Orange over the Minutewomen for their fifth straight win and their second shutout of the season.

Syracuse is set to play a double-header against Buffalo on Tuesday, marking its 2021 home-opener. Those games are at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.