Softball

Syracuse defeats Albany 10-6 in final road game of season

Meghan Hendricks | Staff Photographer

The Orange close out the regular season with two conference series against Virginia Tech and Clemson.

Subscribe to our sports newsletter here

Syracuse (19-16, 11-13 Atlantic Coast) defeated Albany (16-17, 6-6 America East) 10-6 on Tuesday in its final road game of the season. The Orange took advantage of three Great Dane errors and four players being hit by pitches for a season-high 10 runs, though just two were earned. 

Albany took an early lead in the first inning after Kaia Oliver allowed two straight singles to begin the inning that left Alexis Phillips and Katie Falotico on first and second base, respectively. The Albany players advanced a base each on a fielder’s choice and were quickly brought home on two consecutive singles. That created an early 2-0 deficit for SU with two more runners on base and just an out.

After Oliver made two quick outs, Syracuse loaded the bases without recording a hit after two players were hit by pitches and Falotico had an error at second base. With two outs, Angel Jasso’s 3-RBI double gave SU a lead it wouldn’t relinquish. Neli Casares-Maher, the team’s RBI leader, brought Jasso home on a single to left field, advancing to second shortly after.

After Gabby Teran suffered the third hit by pitch of the inning, Lailoni Mayfield came up to bat and hit another RBI single to bring Casares-Maher home, giving Syracuse a 6-3 lead after the second.

Albany’s offensive push continued in the bottom of the second with a leadoff home run by Chloe Lewis. Oliver’s game concluded after allowing five hits off eight batters. Freshman Lindsey Hendrix replaced Oliver and retired the next three batters.

Albany pitcher Wendi Hammond came at the end of the second inning, walking Maxine Barnes, the third batter she faced. Barnes stole second after Rebecca Clyde struck out, and Paris Woods notched SU’s second RBI double of the game shortly after. And after Jasso was hit by a fourth pitch, Casares-Maher scored both Woods and Jasso for her 18th and 19th RBIs of the season, respectively.

The Great Danes got a leadoff hit — this time a Morgan Petty triple down the right-field line — to make the score 9-4 through the first three innings.

After a 1-2-3 fourth inning on both sides, Barnes got on first through a leadoff walk, successfully stole second and advanced to third on a sacrifice groundout by Woods. Barnes scored, marking SU’s eighth unearned run of the game. 

Patrella brought Albany within five runs again with a leadoff home run into left field, making the score 10-5, but the Orange’s 21st double play of the season ended the inning with runners on first and third.