SU to host virtual events for Transgender Week of Liberation

Emily Steinberger | Photo Editor

In past years, the university has hosted speakers and held events in commemoration of Transgender Week of Liberation.

Syracuse University’s LGBTQ Resource Center is holding several virtual events for this year’s Transgender Week of Liberation.

Trans Week of Liberation, which began Monday, consists of events celebrating transgender, nonbinary and gender noncomforming people all this week, according to an SU News release.

“Despite an increase in visibility, the trans community continues to be one of the most marginalized members of our society, with disproportionate rates of homelessness, violence and lack of basic resources,” said Jorge Castillo, director of the LGBTQ Resource Center, in the release. “This inequity is only exacerbated for Black and brown trans women.”

The resource center will host a virtual group social open to all transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer, gender fluid and gender questioning students on Tuesday. The event will take place from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., and a meal ticket will be provided at registration.

A virtual workshop, “Where white supremacy, transantagonism and religious violence collide,” will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and will discuss how racial justice and religious institutions perpetuate anti-trans violence and religious trauma.

The workshop will also feature J. Mase III and Lady Dane Figueroa Edidi, co-editors of “The Black Trans Prayer Book,” an interfaith coillection of stories, poems, prayers, meditations, spells and incantations of Black transgender and nonbinary people.

Mase and Edidi will also give the keynote performance Saturday, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., which will feature work from “The Black Trans Prayer Book.”

In past years, the university has hosted speakers and held events in commemoration of Transgender Week of Liberation. SU streamed a “SIJSIWAYULU,” a play produced by the Angel Rose Artist Collective, in commemoration of Transgender Day of Remembrance.

“We encourage the Orange community to join us at this year’s TWoL events and celebrate trans folks while increasing their knowledge of how to support them,” Castillo said.