Emerman: For Syracuse to make a run, Alan Griffin needs to make a leap

Courtesy of Rich Barnes | USA Today Sports

Alan Griffin's 284 points lead all Syracuse players.

In this labyrinth of a shortened COVID-19 season, there’s a path. That’s right, a path to the NCAA Tournament. For Syracuse. 

Syracuse’s path to the Big Dance requires winning at least four of its last five regular season games. That would bring SU (12-6, 6-5 Atlantic Coast) to double-digit conference victories, and it would mean the Orange finished the year playing their best ball — and it also wouldn’t hurt if SU had one of its lost games rescheduled. 

It’s a narrow, one-way street. And to get to the end of it, Syracuse needs junior Alan Griffin to consistently be its best player, to peak at the right time so the Orange can do the same. Because when the Illinois transfer is humming offensively, flying defensively and limiting mental lapses, Syracuse is at its apex.

Can he string together an exceptional three-week stretch? Who knows. But all the pieces for Griffin are there. He has all the talent, athleticism and shot-making ability. He just needs to continue putting it together on both ends. He’s shown steady progress since the season began, but the time to make a leap is now. 

“As the season has gone on, I’m getting more comfortable knowing where I have to be,” Griffin said after Tuesday’s NC State win. 

Over the last two games, both SU victories, Griffin has scored 22 and 14 points by shooting over 50% from both 3 and overall. He’s added elite rim protection for his size and is starting to limit turnovers. Against NC State, he played nearly mistake-free basketball, which at one point felt like a pipe dream.

“He needs to make better decisions when he makes the move and doesn’t have something,” Jim Boeheim said after the BC win on Saturday. “It’s a learning process. It’s going to take some time.”

Despite occasionally forcing the issue on drives, Griffin’s been the Orange’s most potent offensive weapon for the majority of the season. His scoring punch is more than just his team-best 15.8 points per game.

Griffin has scored efficiently at all three levels and has the most 20-point games on the team (six). His 37.3% clip from 3 mirrors Buddy Boeheim’s team-high 37% mark from last year, and Griffin often takes tougher, off the dribble 3s. His turnaround fadeaway on the left elbow has been unguardable at times, and he’s shooting 70.2% at the rim, per Hoop-Math, a rate better than sophomore forward Quincy Guerrier. 

When Griffin’s in rhythm, SU’s other shooters can find more space. With as much attention as Joe Girard III and Buddy attract behind the arc, defenses collapsing on drives from Griffin could create more space for them. Teammates feed off his energy.

But when Griffin’s off, Syracuse doesn’t have much of a chance. In four of SU’s six losses, Griffin shot below 40% from the field. 

Defense is another story. Boeheim has pulled Griffin for missing assignments or for poor defensive positioning, but the transfer only had an abbreviated offseason during a pandemic to learn a completely new system — he played exclusively man-to-man in his two seasons at Illinois. Naturally, it’s taking him time to adjust.

Compare that to Elijah Hughes, who had two whole offseasons to prepare due to NCAA transfer rules. And even with growing pains, Griffin’s been disruptive — he’s sixth in the ACC in blocks per game and ninth in steals per game.

step-it-up-01

Ella Plowman | Asst. Digital Editor

“I think he’s made great strides picking up a totally different system,” Griffin’s dad and Toronto Raptors assistant coach, Adrian, said after the BC win. “That’s not uncommon for players to come in, and maybe they struggle in the beginning to learn all the nuances of a defensive system, but as the season progresses, you can tell he’s becoming more comfortable out there. I think he’s right on time for where he should be.” 

One play against NC State, Griffin closed out to a shooter on the outside, then sprinted to recover to his spot on the block as the ball entered the high post. Griffin’s retreat was fast enough for him to intercept a bounce pass. Earlier in the year, it was a play he was half a beat late on. 

And against Boston College, Griffin played mostly sound defense, though he battled foul trouble. In the waning minute, as BC clawed back, Griffin tipped Rich Kelly’s 3-point attempt, adding to a growing catalogue of clutch blocks. 

Griffin hasn’t been Syracuse’s best all-around player for most of the season, though. That distinction goes to Guerrier, who’s been a beast inside on both ends. But Guerrier doesn’t have the dynamic offensive arsenal that Griffin does.

The blueprint for Griffin to ascend to SU’s clear No. 1 is in front of him. Limit mental mistakes on defense. Improve his drive-and-kick game on offense — sometimes, when he gets stuck, he panics and coughs it up. Expend his energy on defense and play in a controlled attack mode on O. Raw talent will take care of the rest.

“Aggressive is different for each player,” Adrian said. “For Alan, it’s taking those open shots, creating a little space and getting his shot off, staying composed and reading the defense, taking what the defense gives you. And I think he’s doing a better job of that.” 

If Griffin can continue to score efficiently while also doing his job in the zone, Syracuse’s ceiling raises. He can power SU through its most pivotal stretch of the season. Syracuse’s current NCAA Tournament odds are 21.1%, per Barttovik. A win at Louisville on Wednesday boosts it to 46.7% — a major step closer, but there’s still work to do.

So to find a path to the Tournament, the Orange need Alan Griffin as its driver. And it needs him full throttle. 

Danny Emerman is a senior staff writer at The Daily Orange, where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @DannyEmerman.