Coronavirus

SU quarantining some students in South Campus apartments

Madeline Foreman | Staff Photographer

SU moved all classes online on Thursday amid a dramatic spike in case numbers among SU students.

The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.

Syracuse University students exposed to COVID-19 are quarantining in multiple locations on and off campus, including in South Campus apartments, a university official said. 

SU moved all classes online on Thursday amid a dramatic spike in case numbers among SU students, with the number of active cases at 244 and continuing to rise. The increase in infected students has resulted in 700 students entering quarantine as of Saturday for potential exposure to the virus.

The university is quarantining some of those students in South Campus apartments, Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president for university communications, said in a statement to The Daily Orange.

The 700 students in quarantine, a number included on the university’s COVID-19 dashboard, encompasses all SU students reported to be in quarantine, not just those quarantining in SU facilities, Scalese said. Some students have opted to quarantine in their own homes or apartments, as they have throughout the semester, she said.

At the beginning of the semester, SU outlined plans to quarantine up to 200 students living on-campus in the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel.